17th century Bath Knife & Fork?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
legrandmogol
contributor

17th century Bath Knife & Fork?

Post by legrandmogol »

I acquired this set a couple of years ago from someone in England but they knew nothing about them. At the time I thought maybe it was by George Watkins of Bath, England based on a mark I saw in Jacksons Guide. But the more I learn about silver the more I wonder if that could even be accurate. What is the likelihood there was very early hafter in Bath? I am confident that the set is English based on the cannon handles and the blade mark. The handles are filled and only the fork is marked. Does anyone know when people first started making filled handles? I know the blade type would make the knife late 17th century or early 18th. I posted this in the London section because Jackson has George Watkins registered in London as that was the nearest assay office.

legrandmogol
contributor

Re: 17th century Bath Knife & Fork?

Post by legrandmogol »

I realize my pictures might be confusing so I should mention that the fork is only marked GW and only once, I just added multiple pics of the same marks for different angles in case any of them didn't come up clear
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi legrandmogol,

The 'dagger mark' would indicate a London cutler. All London cutlers were obliged to strike that mark following an ordinance of 1606.

Trev.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

I have a wonderful book "The collection of the Worshipful Company of Cutlers of London Part One: London-Made Knives and their marks" by Keith Hinde & John Herbert but alas this mark is not listed. But it is still helpful to roughly dating the piece
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

It's difficult to tell from the images what are surface marks and what is the punch outline, but George Willcocks may be a name for further research.

Trev.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Thank you, Trev. Beyond Grimwades mention of him I can find no additional information or even mention of him but he does seem a possible fit and probably more likely one than George Watkins. The little V looking mark directly beneath the GW is probably just from use and not actually part of the mark but when I bought it I thought it was part of the mark. When examined in person it is easier to discern this. I forgot the mention that the set is small, the fork is about 6.25" long and the knife 7.5" so it was probably a traveling set.

Return to “London Hallmarks”