Georgian Silver Beaker, Real or Fake?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gpfister

Georgian Silver Beaker, Real or Fake?

Post by gpfister »

Wondering if this piece is a real or fake Georgian Silver beaker. I'm confused by the "D" hallmark. Is this a date code or maker's mark? These are the only hallmarks to be found. Any help would be appreciated, including the maker and year. Thanks.

Aguest
contributor

Re: Georgian Silver Beaker, Real or Fake?

Post by Aguest »

The "D" seems to me to be a "Journeyman's Mark" and there are a few great articles on this subject available with a quick search.
The most common of these "Capital Letter Journeyman's Marks" is for the maker "Joseph & Albert Savory" and recently I was able to identify a sugar sifter just based on the Journeyman's Mark alone because the maker's mark had been obliterated.
Since we have the "Crowned Leopard Head" on this sterling silver mug (can), I don't think we are looking for Joseph & Albert Savory because their marks are only found with uncrowned leopard heads because they worked many years after the year 1822.

You might see a very faint smudge of a hallmark which would be the obliterated makers mark, perhaps where the thumb would rub the silver whilst grasping the handle in a natural manner?
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Strange that there is no date mark on this beaker/cup, there are many experts on here with more experience than myself, I just got a strong feeling that that last mark is a Journeyman's mark based on the few I have seen in person (and the good articles on the subject too).

I'm out of my depth here, but hopefully there is an explanation for the absence of makers mark and date letter?
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

This certainly looks like a genuine hallmark and I agree with Aguest that the D is probably a journeyman's mark; it is certainly not a date letter. However I am a little uneasy at the lack of both a date letter and a maker's mark. In addition (although I am probably nit-picking) the lion passant looks a little too "fluffy". On balance I think it is probably genuine, but if you want to be sure you would need to have it looked at by an expert as pictures over the internet are not sufficient to make an informed judgement.

Phil

Return to “London Hallmarks”