Please help me idtentify these two spoons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Rendaridra

Please help me idtentify these two spoons

Post by Rendaridra »

I have two silver spoons and I have not been able to find any information regarding the makers. Please, could you take a look and tell me if you know who they are by. I am sorry if this is not where this is supposed to go but I am new and thought this was the best place

Spoon 1

Admin edit only one item per topic
Last edited by oel on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forum rules one item per topic
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Please help me idtentify these two spoons

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There is little doubt in my mind that this is a London hallmark and that the maker's initials are IS. I am having a little difficulty with the date letter but I suspect that it is most likely the d which was used from 6 June 1739 to 18 July 1739. My difficulty is in the shape of the punch which, if published sources are to be believed, should have a V-shaped lower part. However published sources are not always accurate with regard to punch shapes, but us this letter was used for such a short period I have not had the opportunity to see a confirmed example. I am not able to put a name to the maker as I am currently away from my references; perhaps one of our other contributors can check Grimwade to see if there is a matching mark consistent with this date.

Phil
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

As far as I can tell there are a number of idem entries in Grimwade that could be a possible match.

Martin
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

I would think likely James Stamp and 1779.

They were still bottom-marking at this date and being Old English pattern, he would be my choice as the maker.

Trev.
Rendaridra

Post by Rendaridra »

Thank you for your replies. Maybe someone will be able to definitively identify the maker for me

Return to “London Hallmarks”