help with my poultry dome?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ssykes

help with my poultry dome?

Post by ssykes »

i found this yesterday at an estate sale and am curious what i have. i have found some information but still unsure. is it Sheffield? it looks like a panther head in there as well - London? the ‘d seems like it might be 1871 if Sheffield but then again, not so close it’s a given.
any help would be appreciated.
thanks
-stephanie

AG2012
contributor

Re: help with my poultry dome?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
From left to right
Robert Garrard initials crowned (the maker)
Victoria duty mark
Lion passant for sterling
Date letter ``D`` for 1839
Leopard`s head for London

Extraordinary piece.
Regards
ssykes

Post by ssykes »

thank you so much!
you are wonderful to help so quickly!

-stephanie
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Stephanie,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you unscrew the handle, you should find another set of marks on the inside.

Trev.
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

Interesting to see a family crest used as the handle. If you could interpret the object held in the hand as a stag's antler it would probably be for the Earl of Morley, but in the photos it looks to me more like a bird's leg which I cannot spot in my copy of Fairbairn's Crests.
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

Sorry - I was too hasty. Fairbairn does show a hand holding an eagle's leg as a crest used by five families: Bundy, Hynd, Jervy, Napier and Rynell.
ssykes

Post by ssykes »

thank you for the welcome and the additional information. i did unscrew the top - no hallmarks but there is a ‘4’ on the dome, a ‘3’ on the underside of the handle. assuming they are part numbers for wont of a better word...?
the handle is a hand gripping a bird talon with feathers on the opposite end. will have to do more research on the family names provided to see what i can find.

i sure appreciate the help here and am happy to have searched you out! thanks
-stephanie
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

In nearly all of these I have seen, the dome itself is silverplate and only the finial is sterling silver. If the hallmarks appear only on the finial, then that would be the case here.

Also, is there an armorial engraved on the dome? That would identify the correct family.

Great find!
ssykes

Post by ssykes »

thanks! you are right, the dome is silverplate, a little dissappointed to find as i had already dreamed about the spectacular value as sterling...
there are no marks other than the Garrard Panton Street mark and a numeral 4 on the outside top. i am away from the piece now so no photo. i assume that number is a style number?
would Garrard have made the silverplated dome too?
i did find on ‘an auction site’ a tray, also marked Garrard the year prior - it has an etched image of the same hand holding a talon but with a motto too. ‘Nescit vox missa reverti’. i found that associated with the Helser name.
all that info might be beyond what this site provides as far as help but thought i would add what more i know...
-stephanie
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

I think it can be associated with Thomas Plumer Halsey.
Regards
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

Hi

The numbers that appear on these pieces and things like entree dishes are usually there to allow you to match correct pieces together. For example, a wealthy house hold may have a number of meat domes and entree dishes, all with removable handles, lids and bases etc. These would all be numbered from 1 to whatever so that when separated for washing and polishing, handle number one would be reunited with lid or dome number 1 and so on.

Martin

Return to “London Hallmarks”