Scrooge statuette, CK Ltd hallmark, help identify.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Scrooge

Scrooge statuette, CK Ltd hallmark, help identify.

Post by Scrooge »

Hello everyone. New member here. I think ive followed the rules for posting.

(That remote photo hosting site routine is new to me, im used to simply attaching photos directly to the forum. The preview suggests ive done it right.)

Im interested to find some information about an item which has a CK LTD hallmark. Ive googled around and dont find anything except for auction history.

Ive posted a similar question in another silver website (silver collector) over a year ago which generated some initial discussion, but apparently that forum has closed and re-directs people to this site.

Ive looked at the library of photos and searched for CK Ltd and find nothing.

The scrooge figurine is:

Weight: 1921 grams, 61.7 troy ounces.
Height: 21.25 cms. (8 3/8")
Hallmarked around the base for London 1975.
Maker: C K Ltd.

It appears to be solid, not filled or plated. There is a definite 'heft' in ones hand.

Any additional history or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Scrooge statuette, CK Ltd hallmark, help identify.

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Not registered London maker.
Regards
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi, Scrooge, and welcome to this forum. I remember that we amassed a few posts on this figurine on the old silver-collector.com site. For the benefit of users of this site one of our contributors there had contact with the London Assay Office and posted this comment:

"My 'contact' at Goldsmiths has stated that there is no record for this maker's mark, although they suggested it was possible that the original maker's mark had been filled and re-stamped."

Maybe someone here will have some more information. Perhaps there are some more in a series of Dickens figures which someone remembers purchasing?

Phil
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The subject was discussed here:
http://www.silver-collector.com/topic5190.html
My 'contact' at Goldsmiths has stated that there is no record for this maker's mark, although they suggested it was possible that the original maker's mark had been filed and re-stamped.
The figurine emerged on several websites,always 1975.The same figurine ?
There is hollow wax casting, but this one looks solid (very heavy).Unusual.
Scrooge

Post by Scrooge »

Hello Phil,

I remember your forum name from the silver collector site. Thank you for the 'welcome' and your continued contribution in my search for additional information on CKltd Scrooge. :-)

Yes, hopefully someday, someone out there will find this thread and will be able to offer some history behind this maker and the scrooge item.

@ AG2012, Im guessing that you found the same websites that i found while searching on this CKLTD Scrooge. The earliest mention of CKLTD Scrooge that i could find is an auction house, whos name i do not recollect at this time. I believe A silver shop in London by the name of WaxAntiques acquired it through this auction house. I purchased it from WaxAntiques. One thing i am not aware of, would be a hollow wax casting that you mention. Could you provide a link to that information please? (i believe any connection between the wax casting process and the name of the WaxAntiques silver store is purely coincidental). WaxAntiques did not know the maker or detailed history of this item either. Yes, this Scrooge statuette is heavy, with no indications to lead one to believe that it is anything other than solid sterling. Especially considering the presence of the hallmarks. One thing of note, would be the presence of a threaded hole centered on the bottom of the base. The hole is about 1/4" deep, and going by a visual guess, possibly an M5 or M6 thread. There are about 3-4 complete threads in this shallow hole. The inside of this threaded hole has the same oxidized silvery color and finish as that of the rest of the figurine. I suppose this hole is there as way to handle the item during the casting process while it was hot? Ive heard of the lost wax method, but am not familiar with the details of this technique.

Return to “London Hallmarks”