the name of the maker and what is this exactly , please....?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
claretjugcollector

the name of the maker and what is this exactly , please....?

Post by claretjugcollector »

http://sv1.letmehost.com/img.php?file=s ... CN0766.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://sv1.letmehost.com/img.php?file=s ... CN0764.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks in the meantime- tom from austriaaaaa
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

You have a wonderful collection Tom.
I'm not certain, but this may be a small brandy warmer; the bottom compartment could be for a candle. What is the liquid inside? It does look like brandy.
As for the maker, Thomas Johnson worked around this time, but the marks of his I've seen have prominent serifs.

Miles
claretjugcollector

hi and thanks

thanks miles - i thougt a small beaker was inside in former times ? something like a picnic bottle or something like that - i always take a small brandy with me when i have a picnic.........kind regards - tom from austriaaaaa
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

I'm not sure; previously I'd only seen brandy warmers like the one below, but I can't think of any other purpose for this item.

Miles

PS Your picnics sound like fun!

claretjugcollector

hi miles

thanks for the pic

by the way picnics fun always depends on the girl(s) you have with you....
Gerryl
contributor

Post by Gerryl »

A more likely candidate for your maker is Thomas Jones a small worker who registered his mark on 24 January 1884. Culme, Vol ll, the Directory of Gold & Silversmiths, Jewellers & Allied Traders 1838-1914 has a perfect illustration of the mark on page 291 ref: 13975.

Regards

Gerryl
claretjugcollector

aha

thanks a lot !!!!!

Return to “London Hallmarks”