Sterling Creamer with Black Porcelain insert Makers Mark?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Joscie

Sterling Creamer with Black Porcelain insert Makers Mark?

Post by Joscie »

Below are pictures of my great, great grandmothers sterling silver creamer that I am trying to confirm the makers mark. I am guessing the item was used for cream, but if not, please correct me. The piece weighs 270 grams or 9.5 ounces which is mostly due to the black ceramic insert, as the sterling shouldn't be this heavy. The size for this peice is 3.25" (8.25 mm) tall x 3.75" (9.5 mm) wide. I am not sure if my assumptions are correct for this item and hope that someone can help me confirm the makers marks on this heavy little piece.

So far, the Hallmark site has provided the information that helps make out 1. Standard Mark: Sterling, 2. City Mark: London, 3. Date Letter: 1796 (?), 4. Duty Mark: during the reign of King George III, and 5. Makers Mark(s): William Bateman I and James Whistle (?) "W.B I.W" struck upside down prior to assay office.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Sterling Creamer with Black Porcelain insert Makers Mark?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
WILLIAM BOTTLE & JEREMIAH WILLSHER
http://925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 5&start=20

Regards
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

... and the date letter C is 1798/99.

Your piece is normally described as a mustard - the cut out in the lid allows a spoon to be inserted and left in the mixture below while the lid is closed to prevent it drying out.

Phil
Joscie

Post by Joscie »

Many thanks for clearing up the makers mark: William Bottle and Jeremiah Willsher, year made: 1798 or 1799 and use: a mustard.
From what I can tell from the monogram, this belonged to my great, great grandfather; Richard French Allen and Susan Johnson Thomas Allen, married @ 1827 which is approximately 28 years after this was made and monogrammed. I'm still trying to make sense of why my great, great grandfather had or needed a monogrammed mustard for his childhood if I my dates are correct. Their daughter and only child, Mary Ann Allen Smith was my great grandmother and mother to Margaret Vaughn Smith Davison, my grandmother. Still checking on my dates with our family historian, but your information was very helpful. Many thanks.

Return to “London Hallmarks”