Could someone help me identify the date from this hallmark?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dlmuk

Could someone help me identify the date from this hallmark?

Post by dlmuk »

Hi there

I have a small hinged toiletry jar, made from repousse silver, that I can't discern the date letter from. The hallmark is very clear, but the 'F' looks similar to both that of 1821 and 1901. The maker is W.H.W.

Stylistically speaking I would think that the 1901 date is more accurate, but I wanted some other opinions.

My thanks to anyone that can share their opinion.

agphile
contributor

Re: Could someone help me identify the date from this hallmark?

Post by agphile »

1821 would require there to be a king's head duty mark as well as a different shape of cartouche for the date letter, so yes, you are right about the style and 1901 it is. Maker may be William Harrison Walter (see silvermakersmarks.co.uk site).
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

It's 1901. The maker was W.H. Webber & Co. (Walter Henry Webber), noted for making fittings for dressing cases.

Trev.
dlmuk

Post by dlmuk »

Thank you both for taking the time to respond to my post (and so quickly). I really appreciate it
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Apologies for the overlapping posts. Indeed, the marks of Webber and Walter are almost identical as is their working dates. I went with Webber due to the fact that he was the known maker of dressing case components, whereas Walter was more known as a jewellery importer and wholesaler, but that's not to say that he didn't deal/make such items.

Trev.

Return to “London Hallmarks”