Any idea on the maker BJLd?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
chlogan

Any idea on the maker BJLd?

Post by chlogan »

I was wondering if anybody could kindly help me to identify the maker of this cat head ashtray?

The maker mark shows BJLd. From web search I found that Ld means Ltd. But who's this BJ?

GregHodgson1
contributor

Re: Any idea on the maker BJLd?

Post by GregHodgson1 »

The piece was made in 1964 in London which you have probably found out already. I have searched through my reference books but am no closer to finding out who the maker was. The use of L with a small D is unuall so it should not be that difficult to track down. Is the cat 3D or engraved on the base of the ashtray. A nice piece. If I find out anything useful I will post here.

GH
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks to Greg's prompting I checked an old jewellery trade mark resource from 1981, and I may have the answer. BJLd is recorded to Bohemian Ellison & Co.Ltd. of 21-27, Seagrove Road, Fulham, London.

The resource is none too clear and makes no reference as to what line of the trade they are in, but makes a clear definition between BJLd and a gold jewellery manufacturer, B.J. Ltd (Benjamin Jewellery Ltd. of Hatton Garden).

Why the mark is BJLd, rather than BELd I have no idea.

Hopefully now we have a name to play with, somebody may know some more about them.

Trev.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

The answer to why BJ and not BE lies in a name change between 1961 and your reference, Trev. In a 1962 telephone directory they are listed as "Bohemian Jewellers Ltd, Mfg Jwlrs, Whslrs, 21 Seagrave rd SW6". The name change occurred between 1971 and 1973.

Their first appearance in the telephone directory was in 1947 when they were "Bohemian Jewellers Ltd, Mfrs, Whlsrs, Exporters of Jwllry & Fancy Goods, 46 Tavistock crescent W.11"

Phil
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Excellent sleuthing Phil! It looks like we have a result.

Trev.

Return to “London Hallmarks”