Inherited a few items have no clue.

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mastermixer

Inherited a few items have no clue.

Post by mastermixer »

Hey Guys,

I inherited a few silver pieces and looked through the hallmark library but It was my first time trying and very confusing . I could not figure out anything. I am just trying to know the makers of each piece and what ever else the hallmarks mean.

1st is a hand mirror :

Admin. edit: Please only one item per post.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Inherited a few items have no clue.

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi ~ welcome to the forums. Good job on posting your pics, but please only one item per post. Your other items should be posted in the silverplate forum...

~Cheryl

Please see Posting Requirements: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi MasterMixer,

The 830S mark is used in Norway and also sometimes in Denmark and denotes the silver content and that the item is indeed solid silver. So we can see that your mirror is solid 830 parts/1000 silver.

The second mark is the makers mark and after a quick search under the letter S in the Norwegian section, I think I found a match.

Have look at the second mark listed under Saether Gull- og Solvvarefabrikk AS in Oslo (translates to :Sæther's Gold and Silverware factory (AS)) in Oslo...

here: https://www.925-1000.com/Fnorway_marks4.html#1

I also found that Saethers was operating from 1936 to 1963 courtesy of another forum. The information was provided by a contributor who is a very active and well respected contributor here at 925-1000. Thanks and acknowledgement to Qrt.S.

Hopefully Qrt.S will see this post and confirm if the makers attribution is indeed correct.

Cheers,
Steve
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

He's looking, he's looking and thank you SteveDwollongong, but aren't you mixing me with Torsten? Cannot recall answering this question in the past.
See link below:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ikk#p26133
Anyway, yes it is Sæther Gull- og Sølvvarefabrikk AS. The abbreviation "AS" by the way, stands for "Aktieselskap" i.e. Limited Company. Actually the company was started by John Ludvig Sæther, born 1893 and dead 1954, in Oslo 1924-1963.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Forgot to tell that the mark can also be found in Norske Gull- og Sølvstempler gjennom tidene 1500-1950 on page 206, edited by Per Bredo Østby. However, there is also the teapot shown in connection with the "Hammer/S mark.
SteveDWollongong
contributor

@ Qrt.S

I found a thread on the forum of the Swedish site: precis en sån, back in 2009, where you provided information including the working dates for Saether Gull- og Solvvarefabrikk AS.

Cheers,
Steve
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@SteveDWollongong

Aaaah! sooo long ago and on that site. Completely forgotten. However, if you master the Swedish language, here you have another rather good Swedish site
http://dguv.forum24.se/dguv-forum-23.html
Unfortunately there are no good corresponding Finnish sites
Enjoy
Qrt.S
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Tack Qrt.S

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”