Old spoon? Dating and ID

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
sebastian4743

Old spoon? Dating and ID

Post by sebastian4743 »

Who might be the maker of this spoon? What year might this be made? Please advise.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Old spoon? Dating and ID

Post by dognose »

Hi Sebastian,

See Marius Hammer at: http://www.925-1000.com/Fnorway_marks.html

Trev.
sebastian4743

Post by sebastian4743 »

Thank you Trev! I am wondering what was the spoon for as the length of it is stunning 26cm!
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Good day Sebastian,

From my limited understanding this would be considered a baptismal or christening spoon. Have a slightly smaller one of a similar design by Gustav Hellstrom. Do take a close look at the engraving in the bowl. A large flaming heart pierced by two arrows, the sun and moon above, a cross with human face at the base.

Looking at another Marius Hammer spoon online where the dealer is suggesting that it is a Memento Mori as in commemorating the passing of someone. That seems possible, is there anything on the back?

Hope this helps
Warren
sebastian4743

Post by sebastian4743 »

Dear Warren

Thank you for your contribution! No, the back has no engravings which means that it has not been personalized.

The engravings on the bowl are quite bizarre, especially the faces make it a bit disturbing. I know the custom of giving christian children silver spoons but never heard about spoons commemorating the passing of someone. Do you think it was given to a relative who lost someone or was this put to the coffin?

Best wishes,
Sebastian
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Dear Sebastian,

As human beings we have a tendency to mark important events; birthdays, christenings, graduations, promotions, marriages, and deaths are just a few of those. Although the symbolism here may not be compleltely Catholic iconography, like other Danish and Noewegian baptismial spoons posted on this site there may be a melding of early Christianity with old Norse. Saint Olaf on one side with the Virgin Mary, Christ and Saint John on the other with a passage in Old Norse engraved on a ribbon wrapped around the stem is one that particularly comes to mind.

The flaming heart with arrows may or may not be a take off on The Sacred Heart of Christ. Added with the sun and moon as birth/death with the hope of salvation furthered illustrated by the cross in the cruifixcation. This just my opinion, would be curious what others have to say.

A Momento Mori would held by the family as a rememberance. Whether this is potentionally one or not remains to be seen.

Warren

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”