Julius Pettersen Oslo?

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
WarrenKundis
contributor

Julius Pettersen Oslo?

Post by WarrenKundis »

Found this 13.335cm (5.250") spoon recently with what appears to be a. Pettersen 830S. Other posts here have previously identified Julius Petterson Oslo 1859-1930, working from 1894. He signed as Julius or J. Pettersen. Is this a variation on his mark?

Warren

Tosten
contributor

Re: Julius Pettersen Oslo?

Post by Tosten »

Your spoon is sold by Julius Pettersen (J.Pettersen), but it is made by Hans Hohles Sølvvarefabrikk (Silverfactory) in Oslo
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Mind my asking Tosten. Have do you know that? Does this punch tell you that or do you just happen to know it? I'm asking because this mark is not exactly like the mark I know from the respective company. It is JULIUS PETTERSEN only. Thank you in advance for your answer.
Tosten
contributor

Post by Tosten »

From Julius Pettersen, Oslo I have seen - Julius Pettersen - J.Pettersen - and J.P.
He had a small workshop and shop in Oslo. Made some flatware himself, but bought from other factories and used his own mark in.
This pattern is well known from Hans Hohle,
So I am quite sure that this is Julius Pettersen in Oslo.
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Thank you so much gentlemen, really appreciate your time and attention. So in this case Pettersen was the retailer of Hans Holhe's work. Let's see what I can find out about Holhe.

A very good day to you
Warren
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Interesting, just spotted another example of this pattern marked M.OLSEN 830.S. The only difference being that the one I'm holding has a pattern on both sides. Did you pay more for the decorative element on both sides?

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Thanks Tosten.
Hans Hohle was born 1864 and died 1942. His working period in Oslo was 1897-1904 and his mark a tea pot. What is also interesting is that why didn't HH mark his objects with his own mark instead the retailer marked with his mark? It leads you all wrong about the original maker. It doesn't make sense...????
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Oh, but it makes perfect sense. With only Pettersen's name applied, the buyers assume they are peculiar to him and he reaps all the follow-up business as sets of flatware were built up.

Trev.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

?? and why would HH not indicate by marking his goods with his mark that he made them and take the marketing advantage out of it? Pettersen is only a retailer. He hasn't made anything except for punching his mark on goods made by HH! I would call that something close to cheating.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,

Not close to cheating but a matter of responsibility. The manufacturer Julius Pettersen bought silverware of Hans Hohles who had a silver factory; both agreed on price and conditions and Julius Pettersen marked it with his name only. I believe silver factories like Hans Hohles Sølvvarefabrikk produced under there own name and quality standards but on request made products for others who could sell it under their manufacturer names and to keep the factory’s chimney smoking, perhaps of a lower quality.
Maker’s mark or manufacturer’s mark and importers mark are responsibility marks to guarantee the product is made out of silver of legal standard of fineness. Norway has a two-tier system of hallmarking that permits either the self-marking of an item by the maker or manufacturer, or the voluntary submission of an item to an assay office for hallmarking with the symbolic Norwegian lion control mark and regardless of the method used, it is mandatory in Norway that all precious metal articles be marked with the personal identification or responsibility mark of the maker or manufacturer and a standard of fineness mark.

Oel.
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Thank you Oel for the additional input. Even today there are many good technicians out there who are not as capable of marketing their own work properly. The arrange, arrangement works for manufactor, wholesaler, and retailer.

A very fine weekend to all!
W
Tosten
contributor

Post by Tosten »

From the 1890 when it was mass production of cutlery, it was usual that the retailers bought it semi-finished and to a cheaper price.
They polished and finished and used their own marks. Later on we can see both the producers and retailers mark, and from the ca 1930 we find only the producers mark.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”