A birthing stork clamp

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
amena
contributor

A birthing stork clamp

Post by amena »

A friend of mine sent me some picture of a birthing stork clamp to ask for information.

The punching is actually anomalous, given that there are simultaneously a St. Petersburg mark of the late nineteenth century, and an Italian mark of 1972 (star 96 VE).
My opinion is that it is a genuine Russian artifact of the late 800 and that Mr. Giuseppe Brollo (96 VE) has added his personal mark only to confirm that it is solid silver. Someone could even recognize the Cyrillic letters of which we can see a trace.
What do you think about it?
Thanks in advance.
Amena
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: A birthing stork clamp

Post by Qrt.S »

It is a Russian made object. The Italian mark is clearly added later. The hallmark tells us that it is made between 1882-1899 in St Petersburg. The maker's mark is so badly punched that is more ore less impossible to interpret who it might be...
Anyway, in these circumstances the main question is, however, what do you do with it? I know, do you...;-))))

I you don't, I'll tell you in my next input.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi, just a little extra information about the so called silver stork clamp, courtesy www.silvercollection.it
http://www.silvercollection.it/dictiona ... ssors.html

Peter
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Interesting link from Oel. I have heard that It is pliers with which you handle/bag a baby's "dirty" diapers.

See http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ers#p87631

Forgot to tell, that it is silver 875/1000.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi amena -

your conclusion is correct! A certification that it is silver.
I own similar stamped Russian spoons - with the wrong silver content 800 - just to proof it is silver.

Regards
Goldstein
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The fineness mark in almost all countries guarantees a minimum fineness only and nothing else. Nothing prohibits the object's fineness to be more than the control mark indicates. In this particular case the later punched Italian mark shows 800 and the original Russian mark 875. 875 is more than 800!
Mind my asking: What seems to be the problem?
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -

The problem is that you do not understand why someone show a unknown object, with unknown marks to a jeweler to confirm that it is silver. I am sure the jeweler explained the different silvercontents in different countries - but had only his local punch at hand to calm down the customer. A often seen habit.

Regards
Goldstein
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hello
Thank you all for the information.
Mr. Brollo would have done better not to punch an ancient object with his personal mark.
However he could not do too much damage, he was in business only from 11/15/71 to 12/30/72.
Best regards
Amena
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Not much harm done.
Restruck marks are often seen,either legally required (import,lombard) or simply taken by owners to assay offices to have silver assayed and marked with domestic marks.Sometimes even convenient to follow the circulation of silver.
Anyway, more marks is better than none.
Regards

Return to “Russian Silver”