Who is the maker?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Goldstein
contributor

Who is the maker?

Post by Goldstein »

Hi all -

have a matchbox cover in enamel, Moscow assay 1899-1908 (trust me - I can see the и for I. Lbedkin!).
The initials of the maker are ОГ, cartouche with round corners. Who could it be?

Any help welcome!

Regards
Goldstein
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Who is the maker?

Post by Qrt.S »

Just shooting in the dark, but there was a Finn Otto Gading who marked О.Г. and Otto Gubert, both active in Moscow. Anyway, both used dots in their marks and were active a bit earlier but...maybe just guessing....?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Could be either ОГ or CГ.
Searched for both.

From Skurlov:

Otto Gidding
ГАДДИНГ Отто, 1853: финляндский уроженец, ГДМ, клеймо: О. Г.
Otto Gubert
ГУБЕРТ Отто, 1852: 3 гильдии купец, магазин З. и С.
Olga Gorbunova
ГОРБУНОВА Ольга Карповна, юв. вещи, 1910: Ленивка, д. Гольфтеева, юв. вещи.
S.Goltzman
ГОЛЬЦМАН С., 1895: юв. завед., Добрая слоб., д. Смирнова.
Semen Gogolin
ГОГОЛИН Семен Сергеевич, влад. ювел. маст. Упоминается в 1883–1896 гг., 1895 —  1900: юв. завед., Б. Щемиловский, 14, с. д. 
From Ivanov only Semen Galkin
903.Галкин Семен Григорьевич Владелец мастерской серебряных изделий, упоминается в 1898 году, Б. Бутырская ул., собств. дом. Москва. Инициалы па клейме: СГ, С ГГ
If СГ the best candidate is Semen Galkov.After all, he had a factory and trade house founded in 1892.
In 1892 he founded the Trade House of S.G. Galkin and Co. ". The factory participated at the All-Russian Art and Industry Exhibition in 1896 in Nizhny Novgorod, where it received a medal.
В 1892 году основал «Торговый дом С.Г. Галкина и Ко». Фабрика участвовала на Всероссийской художественно-промышленной выставке 1896 года в Нижнем Новгороде, где получила медаль.
Identical mark is often seen on enamelled ``oklads``

Sources exhausted.
Regards
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Qrt.S -

thanks for your assessment.

Hi AG2012 -

many thanks for your exhaustive efforts! In my "old" files I found only the name Galkin, Semen - but was sceptic in respect of the letter"O" for "C". If you ever have or find a photo of the mark on an oklad I would be very thankful. If I understand you right - Galkin was the seller and not the maker.
One of the many inconsistencies that make Russian silver / enamel so exciting and turn all known rules and regulations upside down!
Our rule fanatics in the forum will have sleepless nights ...
Thanks again for solving a riddle! I am a great fan of your excellent recherches and learn a lot every time!

Regards
Goldstein
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

S.Galkin Семен Галкин (Excuse for the typo in my post above).

The surface of your matchbox cover is uneven (granular,cannot find better term), possibly the reason for looking like ``O``.

He had trading house but factory (фабрика) was mentioned, too.Besides,he won a medal for his work, I suppose medals were not awarded for trading silver only.
Regards
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Ag2012 -

many thanks for your compare photos!
The little gap is the difference between an "O" and a "C"....

Regards
Goldstein
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Yes, you are right, no matter how deeply struck the remnants of ``granular`` surface superimpose within letters (as often seen inside cigarette cases).
Have a nice evening.

Return to “Russian Silver”