Silver Salver

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
niceguy1

Silver Salver

Post by niceguy1 »

HI

What is your opinion on this Russian salver & the hallmarks that is being offered for sale??

Goldstein
contributor

Re: Silver Salver

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -

the marks look authentic - the salver and engraving looks too young.
Assayer: Jaschinkov (Jaschenkov) Aleksandr I. 1797-1825
The other 2 (?) punches are unknown to me.

Here another punch same time period to compare:

If you have to ask - don´t buy!

Regards
Goldstein

source: PL, p. 178
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Well... The problem here is why do we have two maker's marks? The MFK mark stands for Mathias Friedrich Krey/Kray, a Dane who moved to St. Petersburg and became master 3. September 1794. It is known that he worked still in 1804. The second mark ИЛ, however, is a mystery. No trace of it in my records and why is there a second mark? Are there any signs of repair on salver? Maybe it is the initials of the engraver...?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
What about Tremolierstich on Russian silver?
Just curious.There was a thread with the same question;unsolved.
If you have a single doubt about the salver, you should not bid, as you will never be completely satisfied with it.
I have my doubts about 1801.
Regards
Tedim2

Post by Tedim2 »

Why are the punches on the decorative face and not on the bottom? It's like sculpting a bust and then carving your signature onto its forehead.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -

in my opinion a socalled "heart transplant". The marks of an old spoon(s) were soldered into this cheap, modern salver. Plus the "overkill" of one mark more than neccesary and as a super bonus the Tremolierst(r)ich. Must be from Poland.

Regards
Goldstein
Italiansilver

Post by Italiansilver »

when Goldstein said that the marks look authentic but the salver and engraving look too young I thought to a marks transposition
but I have just a general question
shouldn't the welding be visible?
I mean, to do not melt everything the welding should have lower silver content, and this should lead to a visible welding contour...
am I right or am I wrong?
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

There is a point in what Goldstein is stating. The marks could be transposed because they are undoubtedly on an odd place. On a salver/tray the marks are usually on the rim's backside. A transposed mark can not be welded but soldered. Anyway, when done by a skilled craftsman the "seam" is more or less invisible. It is possible to reveal it by breathe on it and for a moment it becomes visible. But easy to say difficult to accomplish...
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Bidding ends in less than 6 hours.Happy new owner will probably supply more images.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -

you can see it with the naked eye! Next step: test the silver content! Last step: better collect stamps!

Regards
Goldstein

Return to “Russian Silver”