Hallo
What do you think about it?
For better quality click on the image

[url=https://..net/64ae6cc0f28f.jpg.html]Image[/url]

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Stirrup cup

Post by Qrt.S »

Unfortunately your cup carries fake marks. Please keep in mind that a Russian made object carries at least two mark, the hallmark and the maker's mark.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The best stirrup cups were made by Samuel Arndt, either marked by him or by Nicholls & Plincke (he worked for them).
He started the production in sixties, 19th century, but then, decades later similar cups emerged with Kokoshnik.
His cups are rather well documented being in important collections.
Lost-wax hollow casting (or cire perdue in French) technique was used,complicated and time consuming with hollow casting.
1.Animal heads of SA cups are hollow and cups weigh in the range of 150 g (depending on the animal).
2.They have tiny, barely visible vent holes (less than 1 mm in diameter - red arrow).
3.Inside of the cups does not follow the contours of the animal head but they are sculptured like cups (unlike yours).
4.Details are extremely fine due to elaborate chasing after removing the cup from the mold.

Stirrup cups were very popular throughout Europe and some of them are being used as templates by fakers, but lack above characteristics.

madej

Post by madej »

Hi Qrt.S
Hi AG2012

Thanks for the cultural matter-of-fact answer. That the cup is fake I knew but I wanted to show the cup's owner that it's not just my opinion. Thanks again
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

@ madej
Qrt.S answered your question in regard of authenticity and the mark.
My observation was limited to SA.Cannot tell for other makers.
Regards
madej

Post by madej »

AG2012
I understand. My English is not very good, so I do not always express myself correctly

Return to “Russian Silver”