Maker of this niello napkin ring?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Atlas
contributor

Maker of this niello napkin ring?

Post by Atlas »

Hi,

Help would once again be appreciated with identifying the maker's mark on this niello napkin ring in the photo below if you please.
Regards,
- Atlas -
AG2012
contributor

Re: Maker of this niello napkin ring?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Slim chances for the maker.Greek letter gamma for Caucasus regional assay office.Most of e.g. Tiflis (Tbilisi) silversmiths are unknown.Besides, the initials here are not clearly seen.
The inscription is ``Кавказъ`` (Caucasus)
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Atlas -

townmark Kiev 1908-17. Text: Caucasus. Maker: unreadable due to lousy photo
This napkin rings were sold as souvenirs to the visitors from Moscow, St. Petersburg etc. who spent their vacations in the "wild caucasus".

Regards
Goldstein
Atlas
contributor

Post by Atlas »

Perhaps in cyrillic S I G...S I and something?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Search for Kiev in PL book.Most are unknown. I stand corrected - no gamma, only Nu for Kiev (as stated above) and omicron for Caucasus.What`s left in my memory.
Have no idea what belonged to Kiev assay office.Possibly hundreds executing Caucasus souvenirs in niello and distributed elsewhere.
Slim chances to identify the maker.
Regards
Atlas
contributor

Post by Atlas »

Thank you for your answers & effort.
Best regards,
- Atlas -
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Atlas -

you have already some real nice Russian objects and I hope for you many to come in the future.

Why do you not download the generously by AG2012 (free of charge!) offered books from PL and Ivanov? These books are very hard to find and cost a lot of money.
There you can learn the essentials, find many answers for your questions and get better in detecting "real important" Russian silver, enamel, niello etc.
Do not buy first and ask later....better you know what you see!
I have no problems answering your questions - but some basic knowledge should be readily available.

Regards
Goldstein
Atlas
contributor

Post by Atlas »

Hi Goldstein,
The Postnikova-Losseva book I have had for years and thanks to very generously linked by AG2012, I downloaded some days ago the Ivanov books. Not yet just so familiar in using it. And I have several other books regarding russian silver as well. But I know naturally that I have very much to learn. (+ For example the napkin ring with the Kavkaz- text on the side, came along with something else that I bought. So I see the difference between for example the Klingert napkin ring.)
Thankful all together for yours & others help that I received here.
Best regards,
- Atte -
Atlas
contributor

Post by Atlas »

@ Goldstein
Actually this ( in the picture below) was what I was buying and the Kavkaz-souvenir napkin ring sort of followed with it. But felt no need posting it here since found no need understanding its marks ( Khlebnikov / St.P ).
Regards,
- Atlas -
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Atlas -

as a seasoned collector of Russian silver for the last 40 years plus a meaningful collection I had my share of mistakes. First because I was ignorant - later because I underestimated the fake industry. Fortunately, I can count these glitches on one hand.
Sooner or later, everyone makes a mistake - this should be considered as a lesson - and not lose the desire

Your Khlebnikov napkin ring:
I assume that you know who he was and what he produced - and in what quality. Not for nothing did he have several Court supplier titles.
Here all his known marks as a refresher.
Here some examples of his work.
The Court supplier´s mark was only together with his full name used! (see your napkin ring!)

Now compare the quality and the style. I repeat: the letters И Х were never with an eagle used!
Sorry for that!

Regards
Goldstein
Atlas
contributor

Post by Atlas »

Hi Goldstein,
Ok. I hear you.
Thanks for a lesson, the journey is at its early stage for my part. And many lessons to be learned. One believes that ones interest and the passion for it, will make the journey to endure and bit by bit perhaps to prevail;-)

~ Ad astra doloribus itur ~

Regards,
- Atlas -
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Atlas -

please be careful and only believe what you know. Sellers, auktion houses and eBay are not always honest! If you are not 100% sure - go away. Otherwise you loose only money. Do not be greedy! I know this hunting fever - stay cool!

Thumbs up and no more suffering - more stars!

Regards
Goldstein
Atlas
contributor

Post by Atlas »

Hi Goldstein,

Thanks for your wise words + thumbs up for you too!

Best regards,

- Atlas -

Return to “Russian Silver”