hallmark ld on russia enameled box

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dognose
Site Admin

Re: hallmark ld on russia enameled box

Post by dognose »

Hi Guido,

Your images are not showing. Remember to use the Preview feature.

Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hello again,
Managed to extract one of the images.
Please copy-paste the link under IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Qrt.S was right - the hammer is clearly seen.
This box is most likely produced in the Soviet Union 1927-1946. The oval mark with 916 is the "rabota-mark". The other mark is unknown to me
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The hammer is clearly seen,but not the province letter on the right.At least we can tell it`s Soviet, made in one of republics belonging to USSR.Recognizing the alphabet might help.All said, it`s Soviet,make a distinction between Imperial Russian and Soviet made silver.Not a formal distinction but essential. Although e.g.cigarette cases with Stalin in niello are of superb quality but that`s another issue.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -

Style, quality and "maker´s mark"(most are really funny...) point in the direction of Tiflis. What I miss is the O as townmark.

Regards
Goldstein
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I played around with the image, this is the best I could do:

Perhaps an 'O'?

Trev.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Guys

Sorry but my image did not work out I will try again.

Regards Guido
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Hi

It are made in Soviet Republic of Armenia. 1926-1946.

Makers mark containe the armenian letters "ւ" "ժ" "կ" (russian transkription л, ж, к ). Probably, it's initials of maker.

Hallmarks (oval "working") containe the letter "н". Erevan's assay office. 1926-1946.

For example:

gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Dad,
thanks for your amazing information. It is interesting that your makers mark is identical to my makers mark. I would be interested in seeing an image of your item that the mark is on.

regards Guido
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello to all members
many thanks for helping me track down some history on my box, after seeing dads image i have had a look at a print out copy of my mark and i feel that the letter H is there in front of the head.
regards Guido.
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

gsmoggy wrote:Hi Dad,
thanks for your amazing information. It is interesting that your makers mark is identical to my makers mark. I would be interested in seeing an image of your item that the mark is on.

regards Guido
The marks shown by me is on a cigarette case.

But. There is an example of a box with the drawing of this kind of this maker. (Picture from http://www.antik-forum.ru/)

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Niello cigarette case is very similar to decor popular with Armenian silversmiths in Ottoman Empire (Van region).
Some of them were lucky to escape genocide and settled in Yerevan.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Dad
many thanks for the images of the cigarette case and the box .I could not see the box on the Russian link did not know which link to open up. the box you showed is by the same maker as my box it is the first box I have see with the 916 mark.you have been a great help,it looks like we may be getting closer to knowing the maker and the period it was made in.

Thanks Ag 2012 for your info, is it going to be possible to identify the maker with this info?

regards Guido.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Thanks Ag 2012 for your info, is it going to be possible to identify the maker with this info?
They used Arabic letters in Ottoman Empire.Many of them moved to Yerevan after the genocide and continued to work.
Compare cigarette case bellow with Ottoman postage stamp and Dad`s example with Soviet postage stamp.
http://925-1000.com/forum/search.php?ke ... van+niello

There is a book available in Turkey:Armenian Master Silversmiths – 2005 - Osep Tokat
http://925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... lo#p142837
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

hello members
does anyone have that book that Ag2012 mentioned? Turkey -Armenia master silversmiths-2005-Osep Tokat.Maybe that the marks and maker of my box may be in there.(hoping) as the makers mark is the same as on dads cigarette case it seems my box may date from that period 1928-1930. i am not sure how long that maker worked for ,so this is a rough guess.

Many thanks .Guido.

Return to “Russian Silver”