Gustav Klingert

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Goldstein
contributor

Gustav Klingert

Post by Goldstein »

Hi all -

found this nice napkin ring made by Gustav Klingert.The excellent quality of workmanship and the balanced design immediately catch the eye. No comparison to the objects that are offered everywhere!

Regards
Goldstein
Atlas
contributor

Re: Gustav Klingert

Post by Atlas »

This one was my latest found in the napkin sector:
Quite satisfied with the napkin ring. Not so with these photos.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Interesting marks. The marks are upside-down but from left:

1. A Russian hallmark from before 1882 (no notches), probably Moscow (84 zolotnik= 875/1000)
2. Maker's mark, IK, IN, ГК, NL. NI ....? Please clean the mark and take a new picture and tell us the initials.
3. A Soviet hallmark, the "rabotnik" with the sledgehammer and 875, used 1927-1946. What Greek letter if found in front of the face, delta or?

The Soviet hallmark is a remarking enabling the owner to sell it officially.
That's all until you show a cleaned sharp close-up of the maker's mark
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Forgot: The picture shows the castle of Kremlin in Moscow
Atlas
contributor

Post by Atlas »

Atlas
contributor

Post by Atlas »

Atlas
contributor

Post by Atlas »

And, Qrt.S, the greek letter looks like a delta.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Atlas -

Around the city of Moscow there was a plethora of Niello and enamel workshops that worked from simple to excellent. My personal opinion - which is based on numerous real pieces is: after Niello had come into fashion but not every manufacturer wanted or could build their own Niello production -it was simply bought at the already existing workshops. Advantage: increased turnover for the Niello makers - increased sales for the non Niello makers.
Gustav Klingert is wellknown and famous as top enamel maker (see other threads on the forum) but not as Niello maker. Please distinguish between maker and seller! Your shown Niello napkin ring is of very good quality and marked with the authentic Klingert punch and the assay mark for this time frame. I believe in some sort of a cooperation. Unfortunately most of the Niello artists are unknown by name - we only know the vendors. The same you can say about many/most of the Moscow enamel artist and the icon painters. They remain hidden in anonymity and unfortunately we will never know who they were.
Congratulation to a very nice napkin ring!
Here some similar napkin rings with markant architecture views from my collection - I know the seller but not the maker....
Ivanov
Neumelov
Unknown

Regards
Goldstein
Atlas
contributor

Post by Atlas »

Hi Goldstein,
Thank you for sharing your experienced opinion regarding this matter. It makes sence.
The napkin ring on the lefthand side in the photo below, is from my point of view very much the same quality as the one on the righthand side, which bears the Gustav Klingert hallmarks.
(Unfortunately the makers mark is so much worn out that it is more than hard to say for sure what it is.The 84 mark and Moscow mark beside it are clear. If I manage to take decent photo of the maker's mark I`ll post it here.)
Very nice yours niello napkin rings in the pictures you posted.
Best regards,
- Atlas-
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Atlas -

great napkin rings! Do you own them ? It seems that it is a pair - much more difficult to find!
The scrollwork with niello napkin ring was the next generation after the architectural view in niello.There were different fashions that have replaced each other (sales!).
Here one from me - unfortunately it was exported to France and the assayer scratched the marks.

Regards
Goldstein
Atlas
contributor

Post by Atlas »

Hi Goldstein,
Thank you. Yes, I do own them ( and also the other objects in the photos I post here).
Very similar the scrollwork in that last photo you posted.
Regards,
- Atlas -
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -
just bought this Klingert napkin ring - the second of this pattern I have now - see above.

Regards
Goldstein

Return to “Russian Silver”