RUSSIAN SILVER SPOON 2

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
niceguy1

RUSSIAN SILVER SPOON 2

Post by niceguy1 »

Hi

Who is the maker of this Russian silver spoon? It has these 2 markings & a previous owner scratched 2 Hebrew letters in between.

Thanks

niceguy1

Re: RUSSIAN SILVER SPOON 2

Post by niceguy1 »

After cleaning the marks with some polish & Q tips.

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The maker is the Khlebnikov company (famous company and court supplier) in Moscow 1888-1918. The kokoshnik tells us that it is made 1908-1918
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi niceguy1 -

The eagle on your fake mark is the typical "Warsaw cauliflower". The firm of Khlebnikov were able to punch correct marks!
source:
some punches:

Take a close look!

Regards
Goldstein
niceguy1

Post by niceguy1 »

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I know little about Russian silver but I do know a thing or two about silver in general & engraving & I can assure you that the engraved Hebrew letters Shin-Beth (as well as the scratches seen on the left) are a good 60-70 years old.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi niceguy1 -

let´s summarize:
you learned that the shown assaymark (kokoshnik) with the head looking to the right was in use 1908-17 (Qrt.S wrote 1908-1918, a typo?).
So we can assume that the spoon is between 100 and 109 years old - depending in which year he really was assayed - we do not know the exact date.
The Khlebnikov mark is a fake and hide (overstamp) the original maker´s mark.
niceguy1 wrote:.... but I do know a thing or two about silver in general & engraving & I can assure you that the engraved Hebrew letters Shin-Beth (as well as the scratches seen on the left) are a good 60-70 years old.
Although you know so much you are not suspicious of the Khlebnikov marks. But you can specify the age of the additional engravings / scratches more or less accurately. How? Please let us know! But consider that this is no fairytale Forum and the participants are no fools!

Regards
Goldstein
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Not actually a typo. The right looking kokoshnik was used 8 June 1908 to 22 June 1926. It was really in use after the revolution in Russia and even in the Soviet Union (1922-1926). However, you could say 1908-1917 in imperial Russia.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Qrt.S -

do not be so bureaucratic always! There are laws etc. and the reality! And in 1917 there was WW I going on and a Revolution. 1916/17 most of the employees of the larger firms were already drafted to the military, most worked for the armaments industry as a supplier, the majority stopped working.
Gratschev and Ovtschinnikov fabricated hand grenades. If they stamped their logo on it I do not know...

Regards
Goldstein

Return to “Russian Silver”