I've been sent these images with a request to identify the maker:

Any thoughts appreciated.

Trev.
R ingo
contributor

Re: Spoon Maker Request

Post by R ingo »

Hello Trev,

I think it is the mark of Alexander Benediktowitsch Ljubawin (Lubavin) from St. Petersburg.

Kind regards,
Ringo
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Ringo,

Many thanks for the information.

Trev.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

I see some conflicts here. Behind the kokosknik's head I believe I see a Greek delta ( Δ) or ? Ljubavin was active in St Petersburg and not Moscow as far as I know. Unfortunately I'm not with my books right now meaning that I cannot verify whether Ljubavin had a subsidiary in Moscow, could be, don't know. It needs to be investigated a bit more. Moreover, if it is Ljubavin, the forenames are Nikolai Aleksandrovich. Aleksandr was not anymore alive after 1908.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Qrt.S seems to be right about Ljubawin and Moscow. Skurlov updated directory does NOT mention any Ljubawin activity in Moscow. There are cloisonné faked Moscow pieces attributed to Ljubawin (image attached).
``Factory in StPetersburg, founded in 1893, known until 1917. The founder was Alexander Benediktowitsch Ljubawin who traded silver as early as 1850`. In 1897 the firm was headed Nikolai Aleksandrovich Ljubawin .``
(Most probably his son; patronymic `` Nikolai Aleksandrovich``)
Makers marks appear on Ljubawin cutlery (pictures attached), but in this particular spoon it was over struck. That remains a mystery.
«ЛЮБАВИН» фабрика серебряных изделий в Петербурге, основана в 1893 г., известна до 1917 г. Основатель фирмы – Александр Венедиктович Любавин торговал с матерью серебряными изделиями еще в 1850-х гг. в Серебряных рядах (Невский, 31), имел мастерскую на М. Мещанской. Фабрику купил у Ф. Генрихсена, (Графский пер. 2), в 1907 г. – фирму возглавил «придворный фабрикант серебряных изделий Николай Александрович Любавин». По сведениям 1912 г. на фабрике 76 рабочих, фирма осн. 1853 г. Золотая медаль на выставке в Н-Новгороде, 1896 г.
Best wishes
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Qrt.S and AG2012,

Many thanks to you both for providing this excellent information.

Trev.
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Hi

If I was "Goldstein", I would doubt authenticity of a punch of "Lyubavin".))

I do not like Lyubavin (St. Petersburg) who sells the Moscow spoons. I would assume that it is the upgrade aiming to raise the price.

Like that:

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Dad,

Many thanks for your thoughts, they are much appreciated.

Trev.

Return to “Russian Silver”