Tindercord and Match Compartment Cigarette Case 1 - Marked

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
tarkov

Tindercord and Match Compartment Cigarette Case 1 - Marked

Post by tarkov »

Hi everyone,

I am inherited two cigarette cases. After a long research I found this forum, hope you can help me to identify my marked case.

I did search main website and found this cigarette case belong to St. Petersburg but there is only one name mark so I am not sure if this is a genuine Russian art work or not. There are two same hallmarks inside the case, one is on the lid other one is on the base. There is 1892 date and a script that I couldn't read at all.

thank you, appreciate your guidance, regards.
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Tindercord and Match Compartment Cigarette Case Marked

Post by Qrt.S »

Comparing with your other thread we have some "yes" here. Yes, it is silver in the fineness 875/1000 (84 zolotniki). Yes, it is made in St Petersburg and assayed 1882-1898. The maker's mark is a bit "smudgy" but it seems to read МИ (Latin MI). It is punched up side down comparing to the assaying punch. The master would then be Mikhail Yakolevich Isakov active 1889-1899 in St Petersburg. (It matches with the engraving 1892 and I revert to the text later.) The last "yes" is that the box is correctly punched with marks on both halves. Please note that I could have interpreted the maker's mark МИ incorrectly. In that case kindly tell me the actual letters and I will take a new look....

Kindly show the other side of the box. Something seems to be riveted on it with 4 rivets, what is it?
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

I think the engraving simply translates as "1892 from EM". The cyrillic EM can sometimes be transliterated as EM but also as Ye M depending on how we normally spell the Russian name represented by the E.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -
yet some comments on your cigarette case:
the maker M. J. Isakov is for his cigarette cases known - so it could be him. As mentioned before there are some rivets to be seen but nothing on the showside is visible. Explanation: someone removed the applications because he do not want to be remembered or he sold them (gold) because he needed money. Both possibilities happened often.

An example how applications can look:

The chain for the tinder cord is missing. Examples how it should look:
(both cases also by Karl Albrecht - mentioned here before.)

source: coll. Goldstein

Goldstein
tarkov

Re: Tindercord and Match Compartment Cigarette Case 1 - Marked

Post by tarkov »

Well, mystery solved for this one. Thank you very much for replies, appreciated. Regards.

Return to “Russian Silver”