You only have to wait ten years....

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Goldstein
contributor

You only have to wait ten years....

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -
ten years ago I bought this niello matchbox cover, made by Abosimov, in Moscow

yesterday I found the fitting matchbox with tindercord and striking plate in USA

Maybe in the next ten years I find a cigarette case from him. Who knows....
piette
contributor

Re: You only have to wait ten years....

Post by piette »

Hi Goldstein,
Very nice objects, but I think you've made a little mistake here! The second object isn't actually a matchbox - it's a pocket disinfector. I'm sure Qrt.S will vouch for this ;-)) We all make mistakes.
P
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

I am not so sure. I think the disinfector had a flat wick of impregnated cotton rather than a round cord and was something of a rarity so I would go with Goldstein on this. Of course, since we all make mistakes, I may be wrong!
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Decide for yourself. However, I don't think the wick was flat...

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... or#p123462
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi all -
to be honest - I never heared of a desinfector or have seen one in the wild! What a bizarre instrument. We just open the windows and clean the house...
Here some other examples from my collection - it is always the same principle - idividually designed by the maker/artist. When you know the history of the first matches (dangerous - by virtue of brisant, toxic and spontaneous combusting chemicals - expensive - so you used them with care, you lit the tinder cord and handed the box around. Etc, etc.) you understand, why this little instruments were invented. Not without reason in English this matchstoring utensils are called "matchsafes". Immagine 12 big matches selfigniting in your trouser pocket with a big blast .....Later the cigarette cases got the compartment for the matches and also an opening for the tinder cord.
All the big, famous companies made this boxes - in all the surfaces we know - niello, engraved, enamel etc.
Here some examples. Before some members get heartattacks and write nasty comments - all the shown tinder cords are not original. I use
carrying handles from shopping bags (many colours and the right diameter)...If someone have original, old tinder cords - let me know.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Possible usage No1.
1.In a tinder box, the cord was running through hollow tube. Extra length was knotted.
2. The tinder cord was pulled up above the case.
3. A match was struck to ignite the tinder cord.
4 The tinder box with the burning cord was handed to others to light their cigars.
5. After lighting every cigar the cord was pulled back until the burning end disappeared within the tube and then closed (there was a small hook with ball end to prevent the cord from being pulled out).The lack of oxygen extinguished the flame.

Possible usage No 2.
As a child I have seen pipe smokers using flint with a steel striker and a particular species of dried fungus to catch the sparkle. The cord made of waxed jute string was also used to catch the sparkle. The procedure was used in e.g. rural France until the end 19th century. On the other hand, it is very unlikely this method was used in Russian high society with elaborately made and expensive match – tinder cases. After all, they had matches in the box.

Possible usage No 3.
Disinfection purpose is far less likely explanation for exquisite Russian boxes shown here.
Regards
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

I think sailors on war ships "invented" to use tinder cord (fuses they need for the cannons) as lighter for their tobacco. Have you ever tried to strike a match aboard a cruising sailing ship?

Return to “Russian Silver”