Silver Beaker Marks - Russian? And Others - Please help

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
aknamc

Silver Beaker Marks - Russian? And Others - Please help

Post by aknamc »

Hello. I have a decorative silver cup that has several marks on it that make it confusing to me. I don't know much about Russian marks so I could use some help. It looks like there are also Polish marks. Can someone explain to me what I may have here? It measures 3 3/4" tall x 2 3/4" diameter.
Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Silver Beaker Marks - Russian? And Others - Please help

Post by Qrt.S »

Your vodka cup (стопка) is made in Moscow 1800 and assayed by Mihail Karpinsky (1800-1824). The maker is unknown to me but what caught my eyes is that the maker's mark's initials seem to be Latin letters. There are not so many masters using Latin letters in Moscow around 1800. Unfortunately there are still a lot of masters unknown to name in Russia.

Later the cup has traveled to Poland and after its reconstitution in 1918, the cup has been remarked with an official Polish hallmark. The girls head was used 1920-1931 telling us that the fineness is Russian (84 zolotnik) 875/1000 (2) and that the remarking took place in Warsaw (W). The owl's head mark is called "lombard mark" and is punched on used items 1920-1963.
aknamc

Re: Silver Beaker Marks - Russian? And Others - Please help

Post by aknamc »

Thank you very much for your detailed and informative reply. It is much appreciated.

Return to “Russian Silver”