HELP Identify conflicting marks on a unique stand

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
klingsheim

HELP Identify conflicting marks on a unique stand

Post by klingsheim »

So this is what I have assessed.

So let's start with the smaller screw piece.
It has the Kokoshnik mark that is called a "dvonik" and it was only used from 1882-1899 and it matches with the City Saint Petersburg so I was able to narrow the dating thus far with that piece alone.

The larger piece the kokoshnik mark on there has only been known to be used as early at 1875. Thus I deduced that makes sense with the other kokoshnik mark. So my dating stays firm with 1882-1899.

The assay master I discovered I also concur with as there is an exact photo of his mark matching on multiple websites, including this one. Aleksandr Timofeyevich Shevyakov. He was only operating in Saint Petersburg from 1895-1898 which is great for us because everything else matches up with this and gives us a narrow date range.
However the date on the piece looks like it is a 183? something - could it possibly be an 189? or is it even a 193? someting even with a loop and zooming in on photos it is so hard to read.

This leads me to not agree with the maker mark. I do have the maker mark translated to a similar name - ГРАЧЕВЪ or GRAČEV". When looking up Gravchev - his pieces have been accompanied with a different Kokoshnik mark. http://www.silvercollection.it/xBrGrachevix.jpg. Also upon doing other research I cannot find any info on him from before 1916?

Can you please help me identify who made this piece, and when?
Sincerest Thanks!

*Side note* The brides basket glass was something I had added. Originally it was just the stand piece with the screw in piece*
Juke
contributor

Re: HELP Identify conflicting marks on a unique stand

Post by Juke »

Hi!

I see no special reason to think that the object would not be authentic. There are a few Gratshev mark where the double headed eagle is either on top or on the left of the mark, I think this is one of them. I myself have a few Gratshev pieces and this is my personal opinion.

Regards,
Juke
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

This is very common Victorian glass; it’s not for me to judge but I would NEVER buy this piece because one cannot tell for sure if the glass originally belonged here (most probably NOT). Besides, it does not look Russian at all - as said common Victorian and also often seen In France, Germany, Austria etc. during late Biedermeier.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@AG2012

Please read what klingsheim wrote in his message:
klingsheim wrote:*Side note* The brides basket glass was something I had added. Originally it was just the stand piece with the screw in piece*
I also agree with Juke's statement. However, it is also possible that the screw has been lost and replaced later.
What a pity that the original glass has been broken.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

OK The glass was replaced by the owner but the screw is genuine. Two reasons beyond dispute: Exactly the same maker’s mark, an old screw (lead and pitch of screw thread).The latter cannot be faked even by an expert silversmith.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Aleksandr Scheviakov's working period in St Petersburg was 1890-1896, possibly up to 1913 (unverified). The respective hallmarks were in use to 1899 that limits the manufacturing period to be between 1890 and 1896(99).
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

I would suggest clear cut glass easily and relatively cheaply acquired and often sold with plated or brass stand; compare with corresponding Faberge page above.If you manage to get clear cut glass, one can NEVER tell it`s newly attached and replaced. You would be the only one knowing what`s done. The burden of proof is not on you. Just avoid this common Victorian glass.
Regards
klingsheim

Post by klingsheim »

Hello all!

Thank you so much for all the insight. I will search for a simpler, clear glass to make the piece look more authentic.

I appreciate all the help and reassurance this is an "intact" piece and is what I hoped it was.

I apologize for the late reply, I never received notifications people had responded!

Warm Regards,
Klingsheim

Return to “Russian Silver”