Russian Judaica type item

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
enjoy123

Russian Judaica type item

Post by enjoy123 »

Hi, first time posting. I purchased a few items and after researching more about them, I suspect that that they are fake, or should I say, modern artist impressionist art trying to be passed off as 19th century Judaica Yad and Besamim. In order to prove that the items or items I have are not authentically from 19th century, one of the places to undercover the fraud is the hallmark. The Yad I have has the following hallmark:

Strange or not so strange, the next item, Besamim or spice container has similar assayer's mark.

If the pictures displays ok, can anyone tell me if the silversmith's mark is of a known person, whether the assayer's mark on the 2nd item being struck twice is a giveaway that the item is not true, and whether the state or city mark is not right for a piece suggesting to be AA/1894 - which in reference seems to be Moscow.....thanks in advance.
Zolotnik

Re: Russian Judaica type item

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi enjoy123 -
Your guess that the shown object is a total forgery, is correct. The stamps used suggest a production in Warsaw under Russian rule - but are without a true model - they are pure fantasy.
Judaica offered on online sites and/or from auction houses are always fakes. Authentic Judaica are rare as the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Regards
Zolotnik
Zolotnik

Re: Russian Judaica type item

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi enjoy123 -

if you are interested in Judaica: the only authentic objects now on the marked are the Sabbath candle sticks from Warszaw (mostly!) under Russian rule:
Some examples:
Pogorzelski
Radke
Szegman
Szyldberg
just to name a few - but there are fakes too....

Source: Collection Zolotnik

Regards
Zolotnik

Return to “Russian Silver”