Bowl with handle uncleaned from the basement...

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Zolotnik

Bowl with handle uncleaned from the basement...

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi all -
with much luck I could save a nice object to be forgotten under a lot of waste in a basement. The owner did not know how it came to the family.....

Iwanow, Fedor 1843-1882, Moscow, was the maker of the unpretentious bowl - the painting is as always (mostly) unsigned by one of the excellent, unfortunately unknown Moscow lacquer artists.

Source: PL

Regards
Zolotnik
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Bowl with handle uncleaned from the basement...

Post by dognose »

Hi Zolotnik,

A great item, thanks for sharing it with us. How large is this piece? Was it purely ornamental, or did it have a particular use?

Trev.
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi Trev.-

Diametr 35 cm, hight 11 cm and weight 420 Gramm. Type of use: fruits or things ike that I think.

Regards
Zolotnik
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

It's huge! You could wash your feet in it!

Trev.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Zolotnik,

Perhaps I am a little confused the kokoshnik; the 2nd koshnik 1908-1926. If Iwanow, Fedor 1843-1882 and the maker’s mark looks wrong to me but…and nice paint on nielo.
Congrats a great find!

Best,

Oel.
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi oel -
you are absolutely right - I am always too quick! The maker is unknown to me. Sorry for this mistake!

Regards
Zolotnik
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Zolotnik,

All clear and indeed, why did some artist painted the Kremlin on the bowl? Looking at your images it appears the silver bowl has been gilded or lacquered completely, no need to polish hence the painting which took a good artist a while to make and it survived a near 100 years, fascinating.
Who cares about the name of silversmith who made a simple although large bowl? No henpecking here. The added painting of the Kremlin makes it special and most likely not done by the so far unknown silversmith. Perhaps the silver bowl has been a gift to an artist or joined venture between a silversmith and artist who both brought new ideas into practice. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Oel.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The Russians did use this form of letter Φ; many examples can be seen in late XVIII century (cf. PL 3004 — 3011). So, it’s definitively ΦИ.

Return to “Russian Silver”