W.Birkowski 6 Knives and forks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
therman

W.Birkowski 6 Knives and forks

Post by therman »

I have 6 knives and forks made by (I believe) a Russian silversmith by the name of W.Birkowski. I would liketo know where he worked etc and of course if he was Russian.
I have been tol by an antique dealer that usually this person signed only with the initials WB.

I would gladly send pictures of the knives and forks, but can't see, to do it on this page.

The knives and forks were bought from Russian immigrants by my granfather.
I anyone answers this mail and want's to see photographs; then please inform how I should do it.

Sincerely

John Therman
Turku, Finland
dognose
Site Admin

Re: W.Birkowski 6 Knives and forks

Post by dognose »

Hi John,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your question cannot be answered without the required images. The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

http://www.postimg.com is recommended. Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

Trev.
therman

Post by therman »

This is what the silver stamp looks like + a few other pictures (I hope)

Image= Knife handle
Image = Silver stamp¨
Image = 6+6 the ruler is 30 centimeter ruler = about 11.8 inches
Sincerrely

John Therman
Turku, Finland
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Wojcieck-Kazimierz Birkowski was a Jewish gold smith/company located in Warsaw in Poland 1880-1896 but the company continued to 1930. At that time Poland was split between Prussia, Austro-Hungaria and Russia (since 1795 to 1918). Anyway, Birkowski marked his production with David's star that was his trade mark/logo but as well with his maker's mark that was W.B in a lozenge or W.BIRKOWSKI in a rectangular frame. O.C is the mark of the Russian assayer i.e. Osip Sosikovskij assaying in Warsaw in may periods and in this case 1869-1896. That fits well the year you can see in the mark below the letters O.C (1888?) Kindly tell me what year it is, thank you. Sorry, but your photo is blurry.

The crest on the front side is most likely a noble family crest probably from Poland. Unfortunately I have no idea of what family it is. That you can ask here: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=60

Terveisiä Helsingistä :-))))
therman

Post by therman »

Qrt.S wrote:Wojcieck-Kazimierz Birkowski was a Jewish gold smith/company located in Warsaw in Poland 1880-1896 but the company continued to 1930. At that time Poland was split between Prussia, Austro-Hungaria and Russia (since 1795 to 1918). Anyway, Birkowski marked his production with David's star that was his trade mark/logo but as well with his maker's mark that was W.B in a lozenge or W.BIRKOWSKI in a rectangular frame. O.C is the mark of the Russian assayer i.e. Osip Sosikovskij assaying in Warsaw in may periods and in this case 1869-1896. That fits well the year you can see in the mark below the letters O.C (1888?) Kindly tell me what year it is, thank you. Sorry, but your photo is blurry.

The crest on the front side is most likely a noble family crest probably from Poland. Unfortunately I have no idea of what family it is. That you can ask here: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=60

Terveisiä Helsingistä :-))))

Thank you very much for such an extensive reply. Too bad that the knives and forks are not Russian???

The year that yoou asked for is 1895.

Thanking you aforehand I remain

Yours Sincerely

Johan Therman
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Sorry, but now you misunderstand. Of course they are Russian made. There is no Poland at that time. It is occupied by Russia, Prussia and Austro-Hungaria. Please reread my input.

have a nice evening.

Qrt.S
therman

Post by therman »

Qrt.S wrote:Sorry, but now you misunderstand. Of course they are Russian made. There is no Poland at that time. It is occupied by Russia, Prussia and Austro-Hungaria. Please reread my input.

have a nice evening.

Qrt.S

Yes, sorry about that. And again thank you.

Kind regards

Johan Therman

Return to “Russian Silver”