Is this real or a reproduction?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
tzarevich

Is this real or a reproduction?

Post by tzarevich »

I am a novice collector, when I saw this cigarette case I was suspicious, it is a pretty case and the enamel work is very good however, my suspicions are raised by the mark and the piece of metal that forms part of the opening mechanism, I'm not an expert but something is "fishy" about this case.
Can you help?

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Is this real or a reproduction?

Post by Qrt.S »

You have all reasons to be suspicious. On an Imperial Russian silver object there are always a maker's mark and the assayers mark. Also all detachable parts are marked. There should be marks on both halves. You photo is not sharp enough but the mark looks like an assaying mark from Moscow 1908-1926. If that mark is the only mark, your cigarette case is a dubious case, most likely a fake.
tzarevich

Post by tzarevich »

Thank you for your answer, when you say "Imperial Russian" what do you mean? The 1926 date is after the empire had already ceased to exist.
Did the same marking rules apply?
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The Imperial Russia ceased to exist in 1917 as you said but the bolsheviks continued to use the last kokoshnik mark to 1926. After that that started to use the androgynous so called "rabota mark", the "man/woman" with the sledgehammer on his shoulder.

Return to “Russian Silver”