A yad

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
amena
contributor

A yad

Post by amena »

Hi all
I learned a lot by reading these forums, one of the things I learned is that finding an authentic YAD is practically a miracle. .
I found this yad at a market, but I was doubtful about the marks and about the piece in general: an object of 1857 should show some signs of use. For this reason I did not buy.
But a friend of mine told me that I'm too suspicious and I could miss a chance, so I photographed the piece.
What do you think?
Thanks
Amena
oel
co-admin

Re: A yad

Post by oel »

Hi, Your friend is wrong and I believe you are right in not buying a fake!

Oel .
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Thanks for the confirmation, I'm glad I made ​​the right decision.
For as things stand, I think I had never seen an authentic yad in my life.
Is there is a site on the Internet where you can see photos of real antique yad?
Thanks
Amena
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Amena,

A book worthwhile obtaining is 'Crowning Glory - Silver Torah Ornaments of the Jewish Museum, New York' by Rafi Grafman. I think it was one of those books where the print run exceeded the sales, and thus it can found reasonably priced online.

Trev.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Indeed your friend is wrong. Good that you didn't buy it. It is a really lousy fake. The marks are not even close to real marks.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Amena,

A quick check of the Torah Pointers mentioned in the book; Crowning Glory Silver Torah Ornaments of the Jewish Museum, New York by Rafi Grafman; of the around 375 Torah pointers mentioned in the book around 50% has no hallmarks or had German, Polish, Austro-Hungarian Empire or other European city hallmarks (London, Amsterdam, Berlin, Breslau, Danzig Rohrwasser). A few marked possible Ukraine or marked “84” only and some with fake Russian hallmarks. Some were marked 800, 13 (Lot), 925, sterling, made in Israel, made in U.S.A. I could be wrong but I dare say; Torah Pointers with true Russian hallmarks might not exist.

Oel.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Thank you all. This was, for me, the most instructive discussion on the topic "torah pointers"
Best
Amena

Return to “Russian Silver”