Who could the maker be?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Zolotnik

Who could the maker be?

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi all -

found a very nice spoon, 14 cm, silver/gilded/niello with an architectural scene outside the bowl in a decorated cartouche - quite uncommon and not often seen in this form.
Made by ? (unfortunately the maker´s mark is crippelt and not legible) in Veliki Ustjug, assayed by Igumnow, Nikolaj Matwejew in the year 1831.
Question: who could the maker be? Maybe Schilin, Aleksandr Iwanow?
Any idea welcome!

Regards
Zolotnik
Zolotnik

Re: Who could the maker be?

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi -

in an article about Veliki Ustjug and the "Northern niello" I found the following:

The turn around the 18th and 19th Century was the heyday of this arts and crafts in Veliki Ustjug. The name of the master A.Moschnin, brothers I.Shilin and M.Shilin, I.Pestovski and I.Ostrovski were particularly known. 1744 had the master Mikhail Klimschin travel to Moscow to "contribute to the development of arts and crafts in the capital"etc., etc.

Maybe one of these artists were the author of the spoon.

Regards
Zolotnik
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Hi. Merry Christmas!

Very good spoon.
Wonderful masters worked in Velikiy Ustyug. But, unfortunately, on punch of the producer It's very difficult to consider the letters .
There is a good book about silversmiths of Velikiy Ustyug: M. Rekhachev "Northern niello". In it in the 19th century there is a lot of silversmiths. )) http://www.booksite.ru/fulltext/reha/tc ... ny/3.htm#7

For example the punch of Alexander Zhilin (not my))) :

Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi Dad -

thank you very much for the link/list!
You find very seldom a spoon from Veliki Ustjug....but sometimes a snuffbox from A. Schilin....

Regards and Happy Holydays

Zolotnik

Return to “Russian Silver”