Estonian mark?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Zolotnik

Estonian mark?

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi all -

got this Russian purse (84 Zolotnik = 875), sold to Estonian customers, who decorated it with names and monograms as usual at that time. The Russian punches (on purses always outside) intentionally covered by the initials and the gold band with text. On one of the eyelets of the chain is a tiny mark which looks like an Estonian repunch (830), I never have seen before. Everybody in Estonia knew that Russian silver has a silver content of 875 - not 830. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Any idea welcome!

Regards
Zolotnik
oel
co-admin

Re: Estonian mark?

Post by oel »

Hi Zolotnik,

Estonia domestic silver hallmark 1992-to date fineness; 999,925,830 and 800
In 1992 , a new set of three standards were established for silver. These standards are 925(sterling), 830 (Scandinavian), and 800 (common European minimum silver). Each of the three fineness marks is in a barrel frame-shape. In 2004, a new 999 fine silver standard was added
Probably the chain and eyelet of the Russian purse with 'hidden hallmarks' has been repaired /replaced in Estonia somewhere after 1992.

Best,

Oel.

Source World Hallmarks Volume 1
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi Oel -

thank you very much for your explanation!
Silver can really talk if you understand the language....

Regards
Zolotnik
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Hehehe Oel beat me. I was just to tell you Zolotnik the same that it is repaired lately and marked with the new mark as Oel already told you. Here is a picture of the new mark launced in 1992 and still valid

I would be interested in knowing what do the Russian marks look like. Cannot see it form your picture
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi Qrt.S -
Zolotnik wrote:The Russian punches (on purses always outside) intentionally covered by the initials and the gold band with text. On one of the eyelets of the chain is a tiny mark which looks like an Estonian repunch (830), I never have seen before. Everybody in Estonia knew that Russian silver has a silver content of 875 - not 830.
I was looking for an explanation for the 830 mark, not an 925 mark! As I wrote, the Russian marks are hidden - I can only see a ...84 and as maker a C...
To solve this riddle I could remove the monogram and on the backside the goldband, but that would destroy the purse.
Anyways - the "repairmarking" is very funny and very wrong!

Regards
Zolotnik
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Hahahaa very funny dear Zolotnik! It just happened that I didn't have a picture of a 830 purity mark in my sources. As you know very well the silver purities vary and in Estonia they can be .999, .925, .830. and .800.
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Hi.

I think it's a normal practice.
Officially accepted standard of silver in Estonia 800, 830 and 925. The item of 875 probe will be remarked the next smaller Ag standard.

Anyway, it's doing in Russia:
950 -> 916
900 -> 875
830 -> 800

Return to “Russian Silver”