mystery inscription

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Zolotnik

mystery inscription

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi all -

found an old lacquer cigarette case (I suppose before Revolution). The inscription (sellers´s/makers´s logo?) inside gives no sense to me. In my literature about papermache/lacque firms I can not find anything. Maybe someone has a clue - any help welcome.

Regards
Zolotnik
Dad
contributor

Re: mystery inscription

Post by Dad »

Hi.
This inscription is looks like sellers' logo.
"Главный склад у (Бр. Петроко...)". "Main warehouse from Br(others)......."

I not see end's letters of second line ((. Need the new foto.

Best Reg..
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi Dad -

the cigarette case is on its way from USA to me - when it arrives I will make better photos. In my sources I have no addresses of warehouses....but there are some other marks I can not clearly see. Let´s wait and see. Thank you very much for your help!

Regards
Zolotnik
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi Dad -

the cigarette case arrived and I could make some better photos.
The inscription:

ГЛАВНЫЙ СКЛАДЪ

Y

Б . ПЕТ ОКОНИНО

Одесса

Main warehouse of the brothers Petrokonino
Odessa

Question: as the painting is of top quality I suppose that the object is from some better manufacturer and was sold by the warehouse Petrokonino.

Wischnjakow or Lukutin also sold to vendors/dealers. Is the warehouse Petrokokino known? Maybe you can shed some light. Thanks in advance!

Regards
Zolotnik
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Hi.

The "Brothers Petrokokino" (Братья Петрококино) was well-known trade company in Odessa in 19 century. It's Greek surname.

The warehouse-shop (склад-магазин) is a place where trading and storing goods.
This firm often ordered to put the brand ( in the time of production) on trading goods.
For example, firm mark on porcelain:

About firm :

"The history of a family of Petrokokino on the Greek sources can be tracked since the beginning of the XVI century. It appears in the list of 37 aristocratic families of the island of Chios. In documents of the State archive of Odessa Petrokokino's surname meets for the first time in materials of the Odessa commercial court for 1813. Also in documents of the Odessa City Council for 1814, in lists of merchants who declared the capital on the 1st guild, Statiy Petrokokino is appears. The fact is well-known that his son Mikhail had business in Odessa also, he founded own trading house and transferred the business to descendants.
The Petrokokino's Brothers trading house was founded in 1859 and during the second half of the XIX century became known firm not only in the southern capital of the Russian Empire (Odessa), but also beyond its limits. Mikhail Evstratyevich Petrokokino and his brother Nicolas possessed it at first completely, and at the end of the 1860th business was entered Evstraty and Dimitrii who inherited firm in 1875.

Evstraty Mikhaylovich's formation as businessman took place in process of connection of knowledge and practice. He got an education in Leipzig where, besides commercial preparation, I studied chemistry. Having returned to Odessa, I arrived on service to the father in shop. Then I served in trading company to Krone as the entrusted. Having left this firm, E.M. Petrokokino opened independent trade at the corner of Ekaterina's and Post streets. Subsequently brother Dimitrii joined it.
The trading house specialized on trade in foreign goods, offering the Havana cigars, Dietmar's lamps from Warsaw, Richter's blues from Lille, gelatin of the Parisian firm Osteocolle Coignet & C-ie for cleaning of wine, beer and vinegar, ointment for cleaning metals - Putz-Pomade , the American soap, the powder Diamand and Putz-Pasta for cleaning bronze, silver and gold products, the Italian matches of Luigi de Medici from Turin and English Bryant & May from London, the Chinese mastic for rubbing floor, English powder for cleaning steel products, the American shoe-polish for footwear and many other "colonial" goods.

In 1884 the Trading house of brothers of Petrokokino received an honourable comment of Society of agriculture of South country of Russia "For excellent on grace, low cost, a variety and a practicality samples of foreign handicraft products ......." http://archodessa.com/all/marazlievskaya-12/

Best Reg..
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi Dad -

what a wealth of valuable informations!
Many, many thanks!
Here is your reward.....

Regards
Zolotnik

Return to “Russian Silver”