Unknown marking silver schnap glasses

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
sro1920

Unknown marking silver schnap glasses

Post by sro1920 »

My family member assures me that this is sterling, however I can't find anything on the internet regarding the maker. On the bottom of the glass the "HCC" mark and head mark is repeated. Any clues or hints would be much appreciated. Thank you.
oel
co-admin

Re: Unknown marking silver schnap glasses

Post by oel »

Hi welcome to the forum,

To help you out could you please provide us with clear sharp image of all the marks. My first impression Eastern European.
For starters check out:
http://www.925-1000.com/foreign_marks2.html

Oel.
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Hi sro1920!

Your photos is not very good, but I can say that it is Russian glasses. "84" with a woman's head - Russian stamp in 1908-1926 for silver fineness 84 zolotniki (=875). The letter at the mark (unreadable but must be Greek delta) means Moscow. HCC - Moscow maker Nicholay Savelievich Slavyanov (Николай Савельевич Славянов). The glasses also have Polish marks since 1920 - a woman's head with the number "2" (= silver fineness 875). The letter at the mark (indiscernible) means the city where marking was done.
See http://www.925-1000.com/Frussia_kokoshnik_01.html and http://www.925-1000.com/Fpoland_marks_1.html

Best regards!
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Hmmmmmm, HCC - Moscow maker Nicholay Savelievich Slavyanov's working period was 1883-1898 possibly to 1908 so the erased kokshnik mark must look left not right. Therefore there cannot be any Greek letter but the initials of the assayer i.e. ИЛ for Ivan Lebedkin in Moscow. The glasses are remarked in Poland between 1920-1931 as Ubaranda already mentioned. The remarking of silver was a common procedure in countries that earlier had been a part of Imperial Russia but become independent. The reason for this remarking was that otherwise one might face difficulties in trying to sell it.
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Hi respected Qrt.S!
I think that you are not quite right. First - and Postnikova and Ivanov mention that Slavyanov worked in 1908, and perhaps later.

Secondly, at the image of glasses we see that mark is kokoshnik â„–2 ("84" on the right).

Best regards.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Quite right dear Ubaranda but there is a big perhaps and that makes me sometimes wonder..... There is also an other matter that you should know about. I can list a lot of faults and discrepancies mentioned in Postnikova and a mean a lot...just take a look at page 201. On this single page you will find about 15 faults, so....
However, about the glasses I mainly opposed about the kokoshnik.

Return to “Russian Silver”