Strange Russian Scoop?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
joho
contributor

Strange Russian Scoop?

Post by joho »

Hi there - can anyone help identify the approximate date and maker/assay master of this Russian scoop. I believe it to be made in St. Petersburg. Also, any ideas on what it was used for. My initial thoughts was that it is a caddy spoon. However it has a hollow handle with a small blow hole! It is about 110mm long and the scoop is 40 mm wide. The stamped initials could be I.T. or J.T. ? Many thanks John

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Strange Russian Scoop?

Post by Qrt.S »

We recon have seen this maker's mark here before. It is J.T. and it is assumed that it would be a Finn by the name of Johannes Tölkkeri. He was born in in Artjärvi in Finland 2.9. 1841 and came to St Petersburg in 1857. He became journeyman in 1861 and master around 1870. He working period is not absolutely clear but it was around 1870-1880. That fits well with the assay mark because it was used in St Petersburg before 1882.

What it is for? Well, why not a caddy spoon? What it is not, is a caviar spoon because the stem is too short for that.
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi -
some thoughts:

1) the often used phrase "caviar spoon" on Russian silver spoons of every design ist just pure nonsense. Caviar and silver does not taste very well - real caviar spoons are always made of bone, tortie, mother of pearl etc.

2) Tölkeri, Johannes semingly used several different punches - all the objects I know have different looking punches. But all his objects have his "personal", atypical charme. See photos:

3) yes, it is a caddy spoon

Regards
Zolotnik
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Sorry Zolotnik but a caviar spoon is not always but usually made of bone, tortie, mother of pearl etc. A silver spoon's bowl can also be gilded and that will not cause any taste problems.
joho
contributor

Post by joho »

Thanks Qrt. I had no of a of a Finn in Russia. I guess Finland not that far from St Petersburg! We will accept that it is a caddy spoon unless someone has another idea. Thanks again. John
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Before Finland became independent in 1917 it was an autonomic part of Imperial Russia (1809-1917). It was called the Grand Duchy of Finland. Lots of Finns worked in St Petersburg during that period. It is known that 500-700 Finns worked there as goldsmith masters making 1/4 of the labor force in this profession. Many of them became very famous. Most of the masters in Fabergé's factory were Finns. At that time St Petersburg was a very international city. Its nick name was the Nordic Venice.
joho
contributor

Post by joho »

Thank you Qrt and Zolotnik. Good that a small spoon can generate some debate and interesting information. John

Return to “Russian Silver”