Help with translation

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
portlandantique

Help with translation

Post by portlandantique »

Hello everyone,

As I can not speak Russian, I am having a hard time with translating my reference books to some of my pieces. Could someone please help me with this maker? It is a nice cigarette case and here are a few pictures for you (sorry, could not get good photos of the marks). It is 3" x 3 1/4" x 1/2". It is marked on both interior sides with this maker mark, Moscow mark, and silver content mark. The marks are all correct and the dates all match, I just need help with translation of the passage. Many thanks! ImageImageImageImage
Francais

Re: Help with translation

Post by Francais »

I guess I will answer this, although I have only had one year of Russian. If you go to Google Translate it allows you to type in the Cyrillic characters, and get a translation. I have to admit that the results are sometimes quite humourus, but all the same it is usually understandable.
Maurice
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

In brief:
PM: Miljukov, Peter Pavlovitch 1877-1912. Founded a factory 1877 to produce silverware. In 1897 the working staff was 18 workers and 15 youngsters (apprentices?) who made bowls sugar baskets, teaglassholders, bowls, salt, cellars etc.etc. A turn over of 8000 rubles. (beakers, tankards, teapots...located in different museums (museum names in capital letters)).

Hopefully you have interpreted the marks correctly...!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Portlandantique

Welcome to the Forum.

In your future posts please ensure you provide the required images of the marks on the item itself.

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post and ensure that your images do not exceed the 7" (18cm) guidelines.

Trev.
portlandantique

Post by portlandantique »

Hi there all,

Thanks so much for the assistance with the translation, it is much appreciated. Sorry about the images and lack of makers mark, I have finally been able to get a decent photo for the group. I was still unable to get a decent photo of the other side, but this is better than nothing. Thanks again!Image
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Yes it seems to be Peter (Pyotr) Milyukov. The assayer AA is Anatoly Apollonovitch Artsibaschev who assayed in Moscow 1888-98. The silver fineness is 84 zolotnik i.e. 875/1000, an ordinary Russian minimum fineness.

Return to “Russian Silver”