identifying marks on a 'yad'

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Giovanni

identifying marks on a 'yad'

Post by Giovanni »

Hello there, I am somewhat puzzled after trying to identify the marks on a silver yad. I could identify the maker as Adam Yuden (or Yudein) from St. Petersburg, working from 1845-1878. (Cyrillic 'A' and 'Y'.) The assayer is A. Inozemtsev from Novocherkassk, working from 1844-1847. So far so good, but I am puzzled by the year: is says 1798. Also I can not identify the town. These are the best pictures I could make.Is the object a fake? I hope the pictures will help. Thanks in advance, Giovanni.
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: identifying marks on a 'yad'

Post by Qrt.S »

Well Giovanni I must now disappoint you. Your yad is a fake. There is nothing correct with the marking. I will not fall into discussions why it is a fake but that much I can tell you the such marks were not used in the late 1800th century.
Please read the other threads in this Russian section and you will most likely soon realize what is wrong with your yad. I hope you haven't bought it. My advice to you is that do not buy Russian silver unless you are familiar with Russian silver marks and marking procedures.
Giovanni

Re: identifying marks on a 'yad'

Post by Giovanni »

Dear Qrt.S,
Thank you so much for your comment! It is as I already thought, and no, I have not bought it. I was thinking about it, because I just liked it a lot when a saw it at a jewellers. (I still like it, but do not want to spent money on a fake.) So I think discussion is closed here. Thanks again for your quick answer.
I appreciate it.
Giovanni.

Return to “Russian Silver”