mystery spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ybryksenkova

mystery spoon

Post by ybryksenkova »

hello!
i hope someone here might be able to shed some light on the ownership of this spoon.

this spoon has been mixed in with our family silver for decades, and i never really looked at it until yesterday. when i did, my grandfather said he found it on the roof of his house as a 10 year old boy in crimea. that was 1948, and nobody's given it any thought since.

from the sleuthing i've done using the indices and forums on this site, i believe the assayer (А.Ф) to be aleksandr frans fan-der-flit, 1888, saint petersburg. the maker's mark is "A.H." (although it may not be entirely visible in the photo, there is definitely a dot after each letter). i understand this mark may belong to an unknown maker. but it's the monogram that intrigues me more than anything...

can anyone make out what the letters are? i'm quite sure one is "Ш" but the other...Д? and is there any way to know which initial comes first? and does the crown indicate nobility?

perhaps there isn't anything more to add, but i would appreciate any additional insight you may have to offer. this spoon has sparked my imagination; its story has probably been lost forever, but i still can't help but wonder about whom it may have belonged to, where the rest of the set may be and how after 60 years it ended up, alone, on the roof of a house 1,300 miles from its origin.

all the best,
y.
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: mystery spoon

Post by Qrt.S »

Hi,
Most of the answers are already in your question.
Yes, the assayer is Aleksandr Franz-Fan-der-Flit (van-der-Vliet) in Saint Petersburg 1882-1894.
AH or A.H. could be Aleksey Nasedkin 1883-1908
The order of the engraved letters is at least to me Ш Д (Latin Scha D). There are some rules but I cannot find them for the moment.
Yes it is a nobility crown
Finally it is silver in 875/1000

But to answer you main question i.e. to whom the spoon has belonged, is close to mission impossible if your provided information is all you have regarding the spoons provenience.

Return to “Russian Silver”