Tea service

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
MLF
contributor

Tea service

Post by MLF »

A Danish relative of mine has inherited a Russian tea service. The family story is that an ancestor was a house tutor to a noble family in Russia and was given the tea service by the family when everyone had to flee the October Revolution. The pieces aren't matching. The milk jug is inferior in quality to the tea pot and sugar bowl and is not shown here.

Thanks to a mark on the St. Petersburg marks page, I've found out that the tea pot was made by Carl Adolf Seipel and assayed by Eduard Brandenburg in St. Petersburg in 1865. The tea pot weighs 700g:
ImageImageImageImage

The sugar bowl is older. It was assayed in 1840, but I can find information on neither the marker or assayer and the town mark is very hard to read. The bowl weighs 300g:
ImageImageImageImageImage

It would be most interesting if someone in this forum was able to share any information or insights on these makers/pieces, especially the sugar bowl.

Kind regards
Mikael
Zolotnik

Re: Tea service

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi MLF -

the sugar bowl is assayed by Twerskoj, Dmitrij Ilitsch 1832-1850 in St. Petersburg. Maker is Sper (Sperr), Adolf 1799-1857, wellknown silversmith from St. Petersburg.
Very nice objects and a often heared story....

Regards
Zolotnik
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Mikael,

Just to say it's good to hear from you again. You've been away far too long.

Some more detail regarding Adolf Sper can be found in this post from last month: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 97&p=83803

Regards, Trev.
MLF
contributor

Post by MLF »

Hello Trev and Zolotnik,

Thanks ever so much for this very useful information - and thanks for your kind words, Trev. I am now a father, so alas I find little time these days to cultivate my interest in silver. I do occasionally read posts in the forum though and am glad to see it still going strong.

Ha, Zolotnik, I guess it is an often heard story, or at least a variation on a familiar theme. I guess we may never know the details.

Kind regards, Mikael

Return to “Russian Silver”