Post by maher »

Hi
i need information about Tverskoy Dmitrij , Dimitry Ilyich Tverskoi
All known information about him please
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: help please :)

Post by Qrt.S »

Dimitry Ilyich Tverskoy was a Russian goldsmith. When he became master or any objects made and marked by him are not known. However, he assayed in St Petersburg 1834-1851, possibly 1832-1850. His mark as assayer was дт
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi -
here some objects assayed by him:

2 sugar tongs made by Enquist, Erik

1 sugar tongs made by Equist, Carl Gustav

There are a lot of other objects in my collection which are assayed by him.

Regards
Zolotnik
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

In order to avoid misunderstandings Assaying a silver object is one thing, making one another. Assaying only means that the assayer, who is an official, checks that the presented object's silver fineness is up to legal standard. In Russia minimum was 84 zolotnik i.e 875/1000.

Dimitry Tverskoy is not known to have made anything but he has assayed maybe several thousands of silver objects during his working period in St Petersburg.
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi -
this text is a little confusing:
Qrt.S wrote: When he became master or any objects made and marked by him are not known.
this text is better:
Qrt.S wrote:Dimitry Tverskoy is not known to have made anything but he has assayed maybe several thousands of silver objects during his working period in St Petersburg.
Regards
Zolotnik
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Hi, All.

Maybe it will be interesting.

Dmitry Ilyich Tverskoy was born in 1895. In 1817 he finished education in Mining Military School (subsequently Mining Institute) in St.Petersburg. After education he began work at the Tula arms factory. Since 1827 he became the senior laboratory assistant in laboratory of Mining Department of Russia. With 1837 he became the managing director of the Petersburg assay office.
In 1851 he is dismissed from this position in connection with its request.

Dmitry Tverskoy never was silversmith. It was the Mining Engineer with the higher education.))
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Dad wrote:Hi, All.

Maybe it will be interesting.

Dmitry Ilyich Tverskoy was born in 1895. In 1817 he finished education in Mining Military School (subsequently Mining Institute) in St.Petersburg. After education he began work at the Tula arms factory. Since 1827 he became the senior laboratory assistant in laboratory of Mining Department of Russia. With 1837 he became the managing director of the Petersburg assay office.
In 1851 he is dismissed from this position in connection with its request.

Dmitry Tverskoy never was silversmith. It was the Mining Engineer with the higher education.))
Sorry. "Dmitry Ilyich Tverskoy was born in 1795, certainly.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Interesting statement by Dad, but I remember reading somewhere that becoming an assayer demanded having the title of gold-/silversmith, but ???
maher

Post by maher »

Thank you for your cooperation I appreciate that
what is the importance of his works?
i have this piece and marked by him (AT 1840 )
any information about this pieces please ?
http://im42.gulfup.com/Hoiii.jpg
http://im42.gulfup.com/0v696.jpg
http://im42.gulfup.com/VcQVL.jpg
http://im42.gulfup.com/vrXhw.jpg
http://im42.gulfup.com/Lu7Qq.jpg
and all the three piece include this mark ( crown ald Writing )
http://im42.gulfup.com/Xlwhk.jpg
Juke
contributor

Post by Juke »

Hi,

The maker of this tea set (teapot, sugar basket, creamer) is Adolf Sper a profilic and well-known maker. This tea set in neorococoo style is very typical for him and for the time. He made especially teapots, sugar baskets, creamers, bread baskets, confectionery baskets etc.

Adolf Sper was born in Finland became apprentice in 1816, a journey man in 1819 and finally a master in 1829. He had a workshop in the house of Schauman on Povarskoij uliza in St.Petersburg.

It is important to understand that the assay master (Dmitry Ilyich Tverskoy ) only tested that the tea set is silver and then stamped his own marks then beside the mark 'Sper' (the makers mark).

You should polish your tea set to better enjoy and use it!

Regards,
Juke
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi -
congratulations! Really a nice object - if cleaned it would be super nice!

Regards
Zolotnik
maher

Post by maher »

Thank you for this valuable information

but I have another query, if you don't mind

What is the writing and the crown in this photo ?

http://im42.gulfup.com/Xlwhk.jpg

(admin edit - please ensure you have read the posting requirements before posting again - see Posting Requirements )
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi -
if you have some questions it is a good idea to use google etc. first! I give you some hints - the rest is up to you....

Regards
Zolotnik
Mykola

Post by Mykola »

Hello, just to clarify, the third letter is Б not В ))

Very nice item! I am new to the forum and look forward to increasing my knowledge of Russian silver... which admittedly is not so large))
Mykola

Post by Mykola »

Also, Zolotnik, could you please explain to me the picture with crowns? I understand these are Danish crowns, yes? Not images representing Russian crowns?
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi Mykola -
there existed a kind of "crown code" in Europe. According to the number and form of the crown spikes you could see if it was a baron, count, prince, etc. (The shown Swedish crowns are just an example - here for you a Russian/French example...Maybe you want to google to learn the essentials...).

Regards
Zolotnik
Mykola

Post by Mykola »

Zolotnik wrote:Hi Mykola -
here for you a Russian/French example...Maybe you want to google to learn the essentials...).

Excuse me, but I am indeed aware of the crown code! I was simply confused as to why you had posted that particular image, opposed to the more appropriate image you posted next for me.

-M
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi Mykola -
if you are indeed aware of the crown code (and understand it), why did you ask? It is in all languages identic...

Regards
Zolotnik
Mykola

Post by Mykola »

Actually, it has nothing to do with language and everything to do with pictography, which is not "identic" in all European empires. Anyway... I am not particularly interested in joining this forum anymore as I rather dislike dealing with such arrogance.... I seriously am imagining you as a Pnin-like man, only a Pnin who gets pleasure out of trying to prove himself to the world through a knowledge of Russian silver! Oh, and btw, you have spent years and years learning "the basics" of Russian silver, so faulting someone for not knowing everything you do is absurd. The image you posted in response to me is something one will find in a few select books, not necessarily using a quick Google search (especially if they do not speak Russian)!

Yours most sincerely,
Mykola M.
Vayne

Post by Vayne »

I havent seen a whole lot of Russian work. I don't know why, it just isn't anything I've ever been able to buy around here. This work is really beautiful though. Thank you for sharing because now I know something to look for in my shopping searches :)

Return to “Russian Silver”