Russian silver item

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
neocortex

Russian silver item

Post by neocortex »

Hello there, I'm from Germany, I'm new at this forum and I have instantly a question about a russian silver item.
My great grandmother was a cleaning woman at the castle of Count Wilhelm-Friedrich zu Lynar, south of Berlin (this Count was later involved into the attempt upon Hitler's life on 20th July 1944 and was executed together with Stauffenberg and many others).
This item was given her one day as a gift. Now it's on my hand and of course I tried to identify it and it's history. It's marked at three places. I know the origin of manufacturing (St. Petersburg), the date (1833) and the assayer (MK = Mikail Mikailovich Karpinski), but I could not identify the silversmith (probably "AK"?) and why and how it took it's way from St. Petersburg to Germany. It also has two later engravings: "1897" on one side and "M" (probably for Maxilimilian zu Lynar, who was the Count at this time) on opposite. Here are the pictures:

Thanks for any help!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Well, better late than never!

Alexander Gotkovskiy

See: http://www.925-1000.com/Frussia_makers_A.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trev.
Juke
contributor

Post by Juke »

Hi!

It can be added that his whole name is Alexandr Nordert Gotkovskiy and
he became an apprentice in 1799, then in 1818 silver and goldsmith master. He is known to worked until 1835.

The item is a typical bread basket from the late empire period.

Here is a fish server by him from 1834:

Regards,
Juke

Return to “Russian Silver”