Russian Christ Icon Identification Help Please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Spyridon

Russian Christ Icon Identification Help Please

Post by Spyridon »

Firstly I would like to say that if it wasn't for this website I would be completely lost with many items that I have purchased over the past few years. This is by far one of if not the best site for hallmarks.

With that said I have searched from top to bottom and am unable to identify the maker of this Icon which I had recently aquired. from the information that I have been able to gather on this item I believe it is From St. Petersburg by the city mark showing the two anchors crossing a septor. The Assay mark of A.M Is of Alexander Miton from this site shows he was active in St. Petersburg from 1842- 1877, this would match the city mark.

Now the difficult part the makers mark appears to be ИБ. After spending countless hours here and on other sites I have drawn a blank.

the icon is hallmarked on the bottom folded over side and also on the left side of the icon's "halo" I will gladly take and include any other pictures if required or requested.

Thank you all for any help that you can give.
I am including pictures formated to the correct size for the forum and also links to original pictures without resizing.

http://i47.tinypic.com/8x3153.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/711wee.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/141qwlk.jpg
Spyridon

Re: Russian Christ Icon Identification Help Please

Post by Spyridon »

It appears that when I resized the images to the required 900 pixels it was still to large for the site to show the entire picture I have resided the images again and am including them here
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The assayer is either Aleksandr Mitin 1842-1877 or Aleksandr Mor 1850-1867 (Note the spelling) I don't know which one but it looks more like Mor (?). However, that is less important. The assayer is only an official guaranteeing the legal fineness of not less than 84 zolotniki (875/1000).
The problem is the maker. The mark should be cleaned up because it is rather dirty now. Anyway, the closest master I could find is Ivan Bednijakov 1825-1848 in St Petersburg but the problem is that the assaying marks shows 1856. Another problem is that Bedniakov marked ИВ И.В, I·B or I.B and here I cannot see any dots. Bedniakov also mostly made tableware....There are some other prospects too but I'm afraid that I am bit "confused"....
Spyridon

Post by Spyridon »

Attached below is the hallmarks stamped on the halo these hallmarks are a bit cleaner. the yellow colouration is from the light source I used and is not actually the colour of the metal.

Yes it was a toss up between Miton or Mor I had a 50/50 chance of getting it correct ;-)

Thank you for all your help Qrt.S and any others who might shed some light on this

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

First of all minor correction, Ivan Bedijakov 's mark is of course И.Б or ИБ and not И.B as I wrote by mistake, sorry. I·B or I.B is correct.

So we have a dot but on the wrong place. It is centralized and there is still the mismatch with the years....difficult to say anything more...

Return to “Russian Silver”