Niello beaker, Moskva 1859

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dolpheus
contributor

Niello beaker, Moskva 1859

Post by dolpheus »

Dear colleague collectors,
i know, here are many fakes of old russian silver, but this niello beaker is, on my opinion, OK, whats your meaning? Niello is really niello, marks are also, as i mean, congenial - Mark for Moscow = St.Georgius to the right, assayer mark =Авдеев И. active 1852-1862, maker mark AA for Александров Андрей Авдреев active 1859-1916 (i.e. this beaker made first year). AA., as known, made among others niello beakers. So, this all, and also style of engraving and self beaker body manufacturing details are adequate. Also, as i know, later re-assay marks on old russian silver are relatively common, but, i absolutely don't know this "875 ? "mark on my beaker. Right part of mark is, as i see, empty or erased? Only russian mark with numeral 875 in left position and in oval frame i know is mark for goods over 10 g, used years 1917-1958 - "875 proletarians head to the right" in oval. But, why somebody erase proletarians head? Or, it is some other mark, unknown to me? Or single mark made with two punch, one missing? Numerals are surelly exserted, not impressed, as appear from these fotos.
Every comments welcome,
thanks and good luck!
M.
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Niello beaker, Moskva 1859

Post by Qrt.S »

It is as you assume the first Soviet "rabota" mark used 1927-1954. Your vodka Russian cups are remarked with Soviet marks. A common procedure in that time. It was probably officially sold and without remarking, it could not be done in former Soviet. But why the head and cipher are erased? I don't know, maybe somebody didn't like the Soviet mark and tried to get a better price by removing it, who knows? Anyway, no particularly good quality and I'm a bit doubtful whether the niello is done later (and then remarked). Are you sure it is really niello and not black enamel paint? Look at the photo, that is not niello but paint even if it at first glance looks like niello, but after a closer look you see the difference...
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi dolpheus -
your objects are fine and authentic! The missing "proletarian's head" (nice expression and very true!) often occures - sometimes someone scratched the original Russian marks, sometimes the communistic marks - it depends on the mood....

Regards
Zolotnik
dolpheus
contributor

Post by dolpheus »

Many thanks for your comments, Zolotnik and Qrt.S.
About niello, i am not expert for russian silver, i collect especially austro-hungarian pieces. But, i am almost sure, this is really niello, not black paint. It is difficult to photo, but there are some details typical for niello alloy fill in engraved caverns - i see many blebs (on my foto red marked) and also some unfilled engraved caverns (marked blue).
Once more many thanks,
M.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

OK, good enough for me. But as you said it is sometimes difficult to make a judgement based on a picture only...

Return to “Russian Silver”