Russian ladle A.L.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Lars

Russian ladle A.L.

Post by Lars »

Hi,
I have this russian silver ladle. It's marked "A.L", asseryer's mark "I.E. 1870", St. Petersburg. Does anyone knows who is "A.L."?
thanks
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o60 ... ladle1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o60 ... ladle2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zolotnik

Re: Russian ladle A.L.

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi Lars -

Assay master: Iestignejev, Iwan V. 1870-1891
Maker: the mark is not registered but it could be: Aron Lydicke 1849-1881 (Latin letters!)

Regards
Zolotnik
Lars

Post by Lars »

Hi Zolotnik
thank you for information and very quick reply
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Maybe it is Lydicke or Lydikäin as it it also written in some sources. However, his mark differs quite a lot from the shown mark, but...? Difficult to say for sure.
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Hello!
Sorry, but I think that Zolotnik is not right. Most likely the "AL" is early mark of famous Russian silversmith Lubavin Alexander Benedictovich (Любавин Александр Бенедиктович). In 1893-1917 he was the owner of the silver factory in St. Petersburg and was the supplier of the Imperial Household. At this time he used the brand "ЛЮБАВИНЪ" with a crown. But at the beginning of its activities since 1850 he used the mark "AL" (latin) or "АЛ" (cyrillic).
Best regards.
Alex.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Hmmmm...looks a bit strange to me that one of the best Russian silver factories' mark would be unknown. It is a fact that Lyubavin used Latin letters also but the shown mark's shield differs quite a lot from the known marks' shields. The were all rectangular. This is not.

In addition, where from comes the information regarding using a mark "ЛЮБАВИНЪ" with a crown? I'd like to see this mark. I cannot recall seeing one single Russian maker's mark combined with a crown. Kindly show it. Thank you in advance..... On a second thought, perhaps you mean the court supplier mark, the double eagle and not a crown?
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Excuse me, Qrt.S!
Of course "ЛЮБАВИНЪ" with double headed eagle, not crown. It's my mistake :-(. But I think that the mark's shield could vary from year to year...

Return to “Russian Silver”