Help needed ID'ing Russian/M0SC0W box- Many Marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SuzyWoozy

Help needed ID'ing Russian/M0SC0W box- Many Marks

Post by SuzyWoozy »

Hello,

I would appreciate help in identifying the info I couldn't find on the box. I was able to learn that it's Russian from M0SC0W and I believe it is from 1851. It also has an 84 purity mark.

It has 5 distinct marks in the following order:

HM (in a square), A.K. (in a square)...and the A.K. is on top of another square that says either 1851 or 851 (I'm pretty sure it's the year 1851..the "1" is kind of faded), and then 84 in a square (pretty sure it's an 84 purity mark), and then the M0SC0W city symbol in a square.

I primarily can't figure out the HM, and the A.K. Also. Can anyone identify the HM and the A.K. Marks? does anyone know the purpose of the box . Snuff box? jewelry box? And the style of the engraving? It is intricately engraved with scrolls/ribbons and floral forms and lines...

Zolotnik

Re: Help needed ID'ing Russian/M0SC0W box- Many Marks

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi SuzyWoozy -

HM is the silversmith H. Michajlov 1835-1860
AK is the assay master Andrej Antonowitsch Kovalskij on duty 1821-1856 in Moscow
Townmark Moscow (ST. Georg)
84 Zolotniki = 875/1000 silver content

The purpose of the box: pill or snuff box.

Regards
Zolotnik
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

``And the style of the engraving?``
Neo rococo and neo baroque style consistent with mid 19th century taste throughout Europe at the time. Very skilled engraving; this is not easy to do, a very demanding task.
I have not seen too many genuine Russian engravings from early and mid 19th century; not a single element of typical Russian decor here. I find this interesting because of many European items punched later with Russian marks. Is it common to find this style of engraving in Russian items (cartouche, foliage etc)? When were typically Russian motifs introduced? It seems early and mid 19th century silver did not differ much from European taste at the time. Was looking at Postnikov`s nephrite/gold: Wigström/Fabergé cases — but it was decades later.
It is good to know because the style should be consistent with the period, right?
Another question; are there any data of Russian silver exported to Europe and elsewhere, at least at the turn of 19th century?
A parallel with Bohemian glass I happen to know something about; tons of glass were exported from Austria-Hungary to America and UK before WW I. American glass manufacturers copied Bohemian glass (e.g.Dugan copied Kralik glass).Export was done on firm contracts. And Bohemian glass was mounted in silver in UK.
What about Russian silver and the style? Have you seen genuine export Russian silver, if any? (I think Faberge and his shops should be excluded — Zolotnik has provided valuable information about that, and Faberge shops abroad are well known). But, most probably Faberge was not the only silversmith and jeweler who exported.Besides,there is a considerable amount of Chinese and Japanese silver exported to America at the time; nothing to do with contemporary Chinese ``silver``.Was Russia so closed and isolated in international trade? Most probably not.
The style and decor of export silver? Did typical Russian decor conform to the taste of buyers abroad, particularly if engraved with Cyrillic lettering? Was a cigar box with engraved ``ФАБРИКА СИГАРЬI`` comfortable at London or Berlin table at the time?
Excuse me for too many questions and dilemmas — just hoping they deserve attention.
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi all -

please remember that Russian silver was made to large parts by non-Russians (silversmiths from Finnland, Sweden, the Baltic States, Germany, France, England etc.) who earned their living there and brought the trends of their countries with them. Furthermore many of the clients were Europeans serving in the Russian Army, the Gouvernment, Administration etc. and wanted what they were accustomed to. As far as I know only a few of the famous smiths (Fabergé, Klingert, Ovtschinnikov, Nemirov- Kolodkin) exported siver - but only after the success of the different exhibitions they frequented. Exept on Fabergé and Klingert objects I have never seen import marks on Russian silver - so my conclusion is that there must have been not much traffic you would expect from a large country like Russia. I think they had a big market at home and do not need an export like small countries (Bohemia etc.). As far as I have learned through collecting (speaking with the third generation of owners of Russian silver), most of this silver was bought either as typical Russian souvenirs (Nielloed troika, enamel cigarette case, tea glass holder, paper maché etc.) or more seldom because the artist was outstanding (F. Rückert) and you could not find similar quality or design and markmanship in Europe.

Regards
Zolotnik
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi all -
now the object is for sale on an American internet auction (...Bay) with our explanation text. The OP Suzy Woozy did even not thank for this free service...
This happens very often and shows the declining morale.

Regards
Zolotnik
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Description:
Beautiful Intricately Engraved Russian Silver Snuff Box/ Pill Box. Victorian-Style floral, scroll, lines motifs engraved all over box, on all sides. Decorative opening/handle and back hinge.
Date: 1821-1856
Silversmith: H. Michajlov (HM)
Assay Master: Andrej Kovalskij (AK): on duty 1821-1856 in Moscow
Hallmarks: AK (assay master), HM (silversmith), Townmark Moscow (ST. Georg), 84 Mark (84 Zolotniks)
Why do we do this after all? Not even a reference or acknowledgment, decent when writing scientific papers, e.g. We are here for research purposes, I hope and deeply believe in that. Years of holding a magnifying glass.
Any auction house would charge $$$$ for an expertise given. There are decent people asking for help, though. But how can we know?
May I suggest something? Whenever the question like this appears again, let’s answer with the reference (books) and let them search on their own. And if interesting marks are posted, we shall discuss them.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Dear Friends,

Are we really surprised? I believe it to be old facts and perhaps irritating but not much we can do about it. Unfortunately most people are only interested in value and personal gain without mentioning gratitude or appreciation to our contributors of the 925-1000 forum.

Oel

Return to “Russian Silver”