Need help indentifying Maker of Moscow Silver Icon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
richard357fallon

Need help indentifying Maker of Moscow Silver Icon

Post by richard357fallon »

I tried to take the best pictures i could but it is a 1908-26 Kokoshnik with a small triangle for Moscow. Im not sure if the initials are in Cyrillic or Latin. If any one has any information on the maker please let me know. Thanks in advance - Richard
ImageImage
Zolotnik

Re: Need help indentifying Maker of Moscow Silver Icon

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi richard357fallon -

Russian icons are a not uncomplicated theme! There are many beautiful authentic pieces but also thousands of fakes on the market.
To see what you have it is neccesary to dismantel the icon, which is (must) easy to be done - just extract the little nails in the frame and you have all the components you need to judge if it is right or wrong.
1) is the oklad (frame) real, massive silver or silver plated copper with tinned rims?
2) is the sujet (person(s), motive, painted completely detailed in oil or just hands and heads in coloured paper on copper, brass or wood?
3) are the eyes "normal" or big and round?
4) are the marks within a certain time frame correct and is the artist or silversmith as icon painter or oklad maker well known?

On the first glace your icon looks contemporary, the marks are phantasy marks, the doll like eyes are typical for faux icons - now we must see inside - but I believe that we will see the same contemporary signs.

For a better understanding I enclose some photos of an authentic icon.

Regards
Zolotnik
richard357fallon

Re: Need help indentifying Maker of Moscow Silver Icon

Post by richard357fallon »

Zolotnik-

Thank you for the pics and info! The eyes are unusually big and with out dismantling it appears only the hands and face were painted. The silver however did test positive for at least 800/1000, but it is very thin silver with no frame. So do you think the Kokoshnik mark was forged or was this piece a early 1900's fake? As soon as i get it dismantled i will add more info - Richard

Return to “Russian Silver”