old russian spoon?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
alvin4life

old russian spoon?

Post by alvin4life »

Hi I have a spoon just wonder who the maker is and any other information you guys can give me thank in advance.

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: old russian spoon?

Post by Qrt.S »

Heheheh, I think I already gave you an answer that the master seems to be L. Gold but I have no idea who that is. Anyway, it is assayed in Moscow 1896 by an unknown assayer AK. The fineness is 84 zolotnik i.e. 875/1000.
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Hi, Qrt.S.

I will repeat, too ))

It's Vilna (Vilnius)
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Autch, correct Dad, It is Vilna with Vytis the white knight of Lithuania, yes it is indeed (I must buy new glasses). Then AK is Aleksandr Krollau. But who is L Gold? In Vilna there was a Gold 1892-1917 but his first initial was M. Here we have L???
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Recently, I catalogued a similar spoon by this maker. Here's what I wrote:
Leib Shmulovich Gold was born in 1826 in Seduva (some sources say Ukmerge) in what is now Lithuania and was then in the pale of settlement wherein Jewish craftsmen were allowed to practice their trade. In 1839 He was apprenticed for three years to Vilnius jeweler Itzik Karmiola and later received his master's certificate on March 31, 1857. He appears in the guild rolls until 1866, taking apprentices and presenting his items for assay (in 1860, for instance, he submitted an annual total of 67.25 pounds of silver for testing), but thereafter was apparently lax in his guild responsibilities. When the Jewish and Christian guilds merged in 1886 (at which time Jewish silversmiths outweighed Gentiles almost 6 to 1), Gold was denied a certificate of trade and severely reprimanded for having practiced so long outside the regulations of the guild. Whatever difficulties he may have had were apparently resolved, for from 1888 he once again appears in the rosters of the guild, taking apprentices and submitting his wares. His shop continued into the 20th century under the direction of his sons Itzik and Moishe Chaim Gold.
Hope this helps!

Ref: Edmundas Laucevicius, Lietuvos auksakalyste : XV-XIX amzius [Lithuanian Goldsmiths, 15th-19th Centuries], (Vilnius: Baltos Lankos, 2001), p. 329, maker #II.309.
alvin4life

Post by alvin4life »

awesome info thank.

Return to “Russian Silver”