Sterling Vodka Cups from the Kremlin?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Klipse11

Sterling Vodka Cups from the Kremlin?

Post by Klipse11 »

Recently I picked up a collection of small silver vodka cups at a yard sell.
They had a lot of really intricate engraving on them and then I noticed that
they came with a Certificate of Authenticity. I don't know if this is a really
rare find or if they're actually real. Each cup has a different stamp in the center
of the underside also; one looks like an S, another one is an arrow, another is a
christian looking cross, another a V, another looks like the number 8, etc...
http://photobucket.com/Kremsinsilvercups

The only thing I seem to be able to find out is that the hallmarks (0 K X K)
(*9 K X K) (8 K X K) etc.. mean the year they were struck 8 K X K = 1968

Any information you all might know would be greatly appreciated. I'm really
wondering if I have just a set of Niello Vodka Cups or a priceless Piece of History
Thanks
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Sterling Vodka Cups from the Kremlin?

Post by Qrt.S »

I don't know about Kremlin. Such certificate can be made by anyone and is in my opinion more or less worthless. Nonetheless, what you have is a set of rather common Soviet vodka cups called RJUMKA. I think they are in silver, they usually are, but you don't mention or show any silver hallmarks only maker's marks. There should be a hallmark showing the Soviet star with hammer and sickle inside it, is there?

However, they are made in Kubatschinkij Kombinat in 1978-1980 in niello technique. I'm not with my books right now so this is what I can remember. In order to be more specific I'd like to see good closeups of all the marks only, if you don't mind. Crop a SHARP photo to the marks and enlarge it. Then we can make a new evaluation.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Sorry, I didn't realize that I can myself enlarge the picture. Yes, it is silver, I noticed the star mark with hammer and sickle. Genuine Soviet vodka cups as already mentioned.
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Hi, All.

Yes. It's "Kubachi". http://www.juveliri-kubachi.ru/type1.html?type1=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" КХК " - Кубачинский Художественный Комбинат (Kubachinskiy Hudozhestvenniy Kombinat). Kubachi's art factory.
Ort.S is right - 1978, 1979, 1980. The assaymark (м+star+875) is not mechanical punch. It's electro-spark method of marking.
The certificate is an advertizing.

Best Reg..
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Thanks for the confirmation Dad, but we both forgot to tell that the "M" in the star mark represents the town mark of Moscow.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

After taking a new look I must rephrase my statement. The black parts are not genuine niello. In niello the black niello mixture is spread over an engraved or sometimes etched area. On these cups the black part are in a way "painted" with black. At a quick It looks nearly like niello techniques but looking closer reveals that it isn't. Magnify the picture of the black parts and see for your self. Anyway, nice genuine Soviet manufactured cups as stated earlier, but have they been used in Kremlin is totally another question. I would not bet on that.
Klipse11

Post by Klipse11 »

I just realized part of the certificate was cut off. It says "Imported from Russia by SOVIETSKI COLLECTION San Diego, California

Anyone ever heard of them? Does this indicate anything about the cups authenticity ?
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Throw the certificate to the dogs. I told you that it has no value whatsoever. It is only written to distract people having them to believe that Stalin, Trotskij, Beria Zhdanow, Breznev or Gorbatshov or whoever prominent politician from Soviet has used them drinking vodka and due to that have some jerk to pay more than necessary for the cups. Complete bullsh....

Return to “Russian Silver”