Is it Fake or Not?8

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Smokanabeach
contributor

Is it Fake or Not?8

Post by Smokanabeach »

Back with another find... I will try my own analysis:

- hallmarks: Kokoshnik Mark: Moscow, After 1908; I'm not confident with the "88" mark, frequently rare! ; the maker's mark confirms Moscow. Grigory Sbetnayev (1893) seems to be the maker but is that not in contradiction with the Kokoshnik Mark which states "after 1908"?

- design: I'm not sure the "bowl" is an authentic one: looks to have been repaired/glued! Moreover, is the design of the bowl in line with the 1908's "standards"? ; about the engraving parts: they look nearly similar, but may be a little bit too poor to be honest!

I know literatures start to be a real need in my inquiries, and I promise I'm going to do what I have to do asap! Moreover, if you're fed up with my asks, do not hesitate to tell me, I would easily understand! ;-)

Thank you for your answers!

Smokanabeach
asti

Re: Is it Fake or Not?8

Post by asti »

Hi
Smokanabeach,

Take it easy, very easy please... :))

Regards,
Asti
Juke
contributor

Post by Juke »

Hi!

Not authentic, your initial intuition was correct, poor quality, poor enamel, glued poor quality top etc. The marks are also fakes. Read about Zolotnik's detailed writings of enamel. I would not recommend to start with enamel silver items.

Regards,
Juke
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi -
sorry to tell you: a fake again!
Some reasons why it is a fake:
1) Kokoshnik for the year 1908 - 1926 (Imperial silver ended with the Revolution 1917!), town: Moscow
2) Silver content 88 (916,67/1000), used for better quality objects
3) maker: Sbitnev Grigorij Michailowitsch, Master workshop from 1893 until the Revolution. Enamel with shading, Art noveau influence. Colours: grey, olive-green, dark blue, yellow.

The marks are too big, have nearly the same size
The enamel clausonné is crudely made, look at the wires - they should be twisted and not galvano-made. The colours and the quality does not fit to Sbitnev. Facit: a plump, ugly fake.

Just to show you how objects from Sbitnev look, here a photo:

Regards
Zolotnik
Smokanabeach
contributor

Post by Smokanabeach »

Thanks for your reactions!

I was guessing it could be fake, but (as you cans see), I tried to analyse with the different "tools" you gave me Zolotnik! One thing is a huge evidence: the poor quality compared to the pictures you posted!

But, as you can see, I (slowly) begin to understand the way to "understand" russian silver. I'm far from the end (if we can say there is a peak in russian silver analys!), but before goieng forward, I have to deal with the premises!

Thank you for your help: thanks to the "fakes", I will better understand the "trues"!

Regards.

Nicolas

Return to “Russian Silver”