Is Fake or Not? 7

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silvercollector99

Re: Is Fake or Not? 7

Post by silvercollector99 »

I have taken pictures of a small charka made by I.P. Prokefev. I believe it to be original, but please add your comments. The lighting of the picture shows what appears to be copper color. This is not present except in the picture. If the original 2 cups of Smokanabeach really look silver, then I withdraw my previous remarks about copper.

The hallmarks are magnified 10x.

Postnikova lists both Prokofev and Lebedkin.
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi silvercollector99 -

though the marks look a little strange (because of the angel of photo - turn 180° and it is ok) this stakan (without handle=stakan) looks right to me. The engraving is deep - no copper to see.
The correct name of the maker : Prokofjev I. P.

Regards
Zolotnik
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Kindly show a closeup of the kokshnik from another angle.
silvercollector99

Qrt.S,
I am sending another photo of the Kokoshnik. It looks a little strange under magnification. Possibly a scratch or writing between the head and Assayers letters.

I also have a silver salt dish with E. Prokofev marks.

The city hallmark is #2019 in Postnikova.

It is probably a fake, since it does not have any assay mark. Maybe E. P. Prokofev was a popular silversmith to copy.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

There are three types of left looking kokshniks. I'm looking for certain indicators. Please focus on the whole kokshnik only, take a sharp closeup, crop it and skip the rest.

As to the latter object. I don't see why it should be a fake. That time of hallmarking was used before 1898. It is called dvoinik (double). The double is actually the assay mark.
silvercollector99

Qrt.S,
This is the best photo I can take of the Kokoshnik. I have not cleaned the cup. It looks to have extra writing between the head and assay initials.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Thank you and exacly dear silvercollector99. There is something there that shouldn't be there. It could be a bad struck but? In addition, the kokshnik, not the mark but the diadem in itself, looks bad to in my eyes. Moreover, the chin line does not continue ending as an ear. I'm not satisfied with the mark. It looks dubious indeed in my eyes. But as always, it is my opinion only and not an amen!
Child

Post by Child »

Good mark. Only double strike in right side.
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi Child -

your answer remember me to some auctioneer who told the audience: "This lot, a porcellan vase is absolute top - only 8 chips at the backside..."

Regards
Zolotnik

Return to “Russian Silver”